Author Topic: 32 Volt Wincharger  (Read 3579 times)

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
32 Volt Wincharger
« on: August 05, 2015, 10:03:28 AM »
I just finished installing a 13' homebrew turbine on a 130' tilt tower in South Dakota.

On the same property is the remains of an old Wincharger (I believe it's a 32V 11' dia 'giant') and it's quite tempting to rebuild it.  Missing are all of the controls, the tail, and the blade will need to be replaced.  Does anyone have a notion if (assuming they are good) the original windings would work OK with a 48V system?

If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: 32 Volt Wincharger
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
That would be tempting! Bet it would work on my 24v system just fine!

Flux

• Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »
Yes I think it will be ok on 48V. If it is a low wind area , you will do better with a smaller prop. I n a good wind area the original prop may be ok.

Those low voltage generators rarely fail unless rust has pushed into the copper. Give it a wash out in gasoline, let it dry and if the resistance between shaft and winding is over 20k give it a try. If it works, give it a coat of air drying varnish. Take a good look at comm and and brushes, bruses should be free in holders and have reasonable pressure, comm should be concentric with mica below the copper bars.

If the comm needs attention,read up a decent book on the subject, it is a critical,process and would wast a lot of time here describing it. if you get to the point where it will motor but not generate , suspect the comm for high Micas or shorts between bars.

flux

12AX7

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:14:53 PM »
130ft?   that's a long long thing to tilt up.   or did you have to dance in the clouds?

Where's the  video?

Royalwdg

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:43 PM »
That Wincharger is a very good machine and well worth rebuilding. Terry
Bryant, email  bryantwind@windstream.net is an expert on those machines and will help you identify what you have. It's either a 10 foot 1000 watt or a 12 foot 1200 watt.  They are mostly used to charge a 24 volt bat bank. They came with voltage regulators. I make exact replacement blades for those two sizes. Dave Moller

hiker

• BIG DOG
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
Wincharger.com ---may be of some help,,,,,,,,,
WILD in ALASKA