Remote Living > Lighting

Playing with some 7 watt LED's

(1/3) > >>

Mary B:
I picked up these LED's on sale cheap($3 each) so I started playing with them. They have to be heatsinked and I started digging in the junk box. Ran across a CPU cooler minus the fan... fan would have been 12 volts anyway so no good... each LED is 24 volts at 300ma, 500 lumens. I had some 24 volt small fans so I used the wire tie trick to mount them(poke one through the heatsink and through the fan holes. Put another on like putting a nut on a long bolt). I used some adhesive thermal pads to mount the LED's and a buck driver that maintains constant current.

LED's http://www.mpja.com/500-Lumen-7-Watt-Super-Bright-Warm-White-LED/productinfo/32077%20OP/
Used a constant current driver from this page http://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/buckpuck-dc-led-drivers went with the 700ma driver, the LEDS can handle a little extra current considering they will be on momentary. This will be a replacement for the front door flood light that eats bulbs...

Got everything mounted and wired, ran it without fan and the heatsink rapidly climbed to 165f... to hot! Added the fan and dropped it to 85f! Much better! Only problem will be making some holes in the light fixture for airflow... it is your typical pot metal flood.

Bruce S:
WOW 7 watt! I thought the 3 watt units Rich H built were bright!
Will you need sunglasses on when working with it  8).
Those heat-pipes are the very reason I dig around for older Dell computers!
Too bad you couldn't pipe the extra heat somewhere when winter sets in.
Looking forward to a pic of it working.
Everytime I try to use my digital camera, the LEDs mess with the flash.
Best Of luck,

Mary B:
My camera(cell phone) refused to take a picture with it on! Popped a notice saying to bright. It easily lit a 16x14 foot room and I would put it at the same level of brightness as a 150 watt bulb.

Mary B:
Built the second one took a couple more pics

Camera did not like this and tried to shut down!

Pointing into my living room, camera f stop was wacky, it is brighter than it looks

XeonPony:
starting to feel like the 10 and 20w ones I play with are a bit over kill then?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version