Author Topic: saltwater technology  (Read 2642 times)

kitestrings

saltwater technology
« on: August 07, 2015, 02:54:58 PM »
I'm curious if anyone here has tried, or installed, any saltwater technology batteries that have appeared.  This is the one I've seen and read about a bit:

http://www.aquionenergy.com/energy-storage-technology

Still pretty expensive even with the consideration of potentially deeper DOD.  A 2.4 kWh stack is about $1,200; a pre-wired "pallet" (24.8 kWh) is about $16k.

Comparing it to our L16's, if we assume 50% DOD on the lead-acids, we've got about 20 kWh net usable; at today's costs of about $5,500.  If we could go to near 100% DOD with these things, it'd take about 8-stacks, or roughly $10k.  Not saying you want to go that deep, but even at 80% DOD you'd have nearly twice the cycles (if the longevity is real).

I have no idea how robust or proven the technology is.  Would like to hear from anyone who has experience with them, or an opinion.  ~ks

kitestrings

Re: saltwater technology
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 02:15:02 PM »
I'm going to interpret the silence here...

I think I'll wait to hear from someone who has had them for awhile.  Sometimes, as they say, the pioneers are the ones with arrows in their backs.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: saltwater technology
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
I don't think it is commercially in use yet... sure it is offered for sale but... price is also way to rich for my blood! YIKES!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:29:37 PM by Mary B »