Author Topic: Solar grid-tied inverter powered by Wind generator.  (Read 2580 times)

Jamiel1997

Solar grid-tied inverter powered by Wind generator.
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:11:45 PM »
Hello ive been struggling with this question for a while now and decided to go to a forum and ask. I recently received a 3 phase ac Wind generator and i want to go with a grid tied system, i would like to know if it is possible to connect a 3 phase rectifier to the generator so that it converts it from ac to dc so that it can work with this grid tie Inverter : http://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Conve...d+tie+inverter .
I know that there is another one specifically designed for wind generators but the problem is that i already gone ahead an bought a lot of batteries and and a charge controller and i would like to put them to use and probably in the future purchase a regular inverter to hook up to the battery bank in case of power outages.
But in the meantime i would just like to hook up the generator to a rectifier and then to the grid tie inverter so there is int power loss involved with charging batteries.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Solar grid-tied inverter powered by Wind generator.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:57:50 PM »
The link you give goes nowhere. Amazon returns a no such page to the request.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 11:58:20 AM »
That device is not legal in the US. The NEC forbids a plugin device. Since you are not in the US you would need to ask those in Antigua/Barbuda what they think.

Read the reviews on the device. The link for reviews is on the same page. The top listed reviewer has a picture of the unit after it caught fire. Another reviewer said the device would freeze up (firmware problem?) and would have to be restarted manually and mentioned an internal fuse.

http://www.amazon.com/Inverter-Converter-Turbine-Generator-Stackable/product-reviews/B00E3Q85UO/ref=cm_cr_dp_synop?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending#ROVMVQT6734YS

One reviewer said the input voltage window was 22 to 60. That is low compared to commercial grade equipment. With solar panels alone that range should be easy to meet. I don't think you could get much useful power from a homemade mill in that range wthout adding batteries to clamp the voltage.

What are you trying to do? If your electricity costs are too high, conservation measures will give you a much better return for the time and money invested. If you need hot water a direct thermal hot water system would remove your hot water heater from the grid.

I dry my clothes on a wooden rack indoors, so I don't need an electric dryer.

Refrigeration is a large user of electricity. Smaller refrigerators are not neccessarily more efficient. Keeping the hot side coils clean, putting the fridge away from the wall and counters so air can flow around it cuts energy use. Make sure the door is level and the seals tight.

Switching your incandescent lighting to LEDs can save a lot.

Here is a pic of the burned out inverter someone in the solar business who repairs panels tried to use.
9060-0

Jamiel1997

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 09:41:25 AM »
I know the risks involved and I'm willing to take my chances, I just want my question answered

southpaw

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 10:07:18 AM »
If you just want your question answered  the answer is "yes".

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 05:18:38 PM »

Royalwdg

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »
One more thing, grid tied solar inverters see fairly consistant voltages during operation with the amperage going up and down with sun intensity. With a wind turbine you will get wild changes in voltage. Not sure if that might not be an issue.  DaveM