Author Topic: Converting power created from a homemade generator  (Read 24869 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

electrondady1

  • SuperHero Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2822
  • Country: ca
Re: Converting power created from a homemade generator
« Reply #135 on: May 31, 2016, 07:42:31 AM »
ok , last year you got advice from lots of different quarters and i think there is confusion and problems with the way you have laid your stator out .
from the diagram you just posted, you have 6 coils which is the proper number for three phase if you have rotors with 8 magnets.
but your showing the six coils wired in series which is totally wrong for 3 phase .
in three phase every 3rd coil is wired in series .
in your case that is two coils
and in three phase each of those two coils is laid out so that the winding direction is the same .
in fact, in three phase every coil in the stator is laid out so that the direction of winding is the same.
 i think the confusion started when you changed from your original wooden radial layout and moved on to an axial flux design.
give the six coils a number. your number 1 coil should be in series with number 4 coil
number 2 with number 5 and number 3 with number 6
all the coils should be wound in the same direction. and wired start to tail to start to tail.
when done correctly you will have 3 sets of coils. each set having two coils . altogether 6 wire ends will be free.
at that point you can decide how to combine the wires in star or delta.

you are using medium strength ceramic magnets. also known as ferrite magnets.

if you were using neo magnets with perhaps ten times the flux density you would need very thick steel rotors to contain the flux.
do a test on the back side of your magnet rotor with a paper clip . to see if it will stick to the saw blade.

do a voltage test on coil number 1, using the same rpm, wire coil number 1 and 4 together. the voltage should be double. if not , switch the connection.
you should test each phase (two series wired  coils)of your stator individually.
you should get about the same reading from all three depending on the same rpm for each  test.
please post again when you get that sorted out .

don't give up.

   



 




 

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:05:10 AM by electrondady1 »

Gitrmstr

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 55
  • Country: ca
Re: Converting power created from a homemade generator
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »
Alright there is no magnetism on the back side of the saw blade so it seems to be containing the flux of the magnets.

I had wondered whether 3 phase would be worth it or feasible seeing as my saw blade diameter only really allows for 6 magnets to fit comfortably. Also with my limited understanding of electrical systems it seemed simpler to just do single phase.

I was considering remaking the wooden housing for the coils since the scrap board I originally used is covered in splinters.

I may completely restart my work with a fresh mind and new knowledge this year depending on how much time I can allocate to the project.

Thank you all for your input and information, this forum made my interest in home built energy become a passion!

SparWeb

  • SuperHero Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 3166
  • Country: ca
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Converting power created from a homemade generator
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2016, 09:29:04 PM »
Dude,
You may be 6 snips and 6 twists away from a working rotor.  Don't throw it all away now!
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024

electrondady1

  • SuperHero Member
  • ******
  • Posts: 2822
  • Country: ca
Re: Converting power created from a homemade generator
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2016, 06:00:32 AM »
when i first got started, i built two alternators using three phase.
but with ceramic mags, i couldn't get the voltage i wanted at the rpm i was getting.
 i started doing single phase.
it uses  all the mags and all the coils all the time .

 works for me.