Author Topic: Running a two-stroke on wood gas?  (Read 11720 times)

MIgardener

Running a two-stroke on wood gas?
« on: June 22, 2014, 10:35:20 PM »
 I am wondering if it is at all possible to run a two-stroke engine on woodgas.
 Of course, my biggest concern is luberication.

Has anyone done this before?
,Jake

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
Re: Running a two-stroke on wood gas?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 11:25:08 PM »
Germans did it during WW2. NKorea does it now. Kind of crude.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/plugged-in/2013/01/02/how-north-korea-fuels-its-military-trucks-with-trees/

"Fischer-Tropsch fuels date back to the 1920s where the German chemists Fischer and Tropsch developed a way to break down carbon-based feedstocks into a gas (synthesis gas composed of carbon monoxide and hydrogen) that can be reformed into hydrocarbon chains (what we like to burn). Carbon sources like natural gas, coal, wood chips, and grass are used as feedstocks. The Nazis militarized the process for the Second World War where Germany, lacking petroleum but having access to lots of domestic coal reserves, could produce fuel to run its planes, tanks, and trucks. The term Fischer-Tropsch is now used loosely to describe gasifying a biomass feedstock into a synthetic fuel. Technically, the Fischer-Tropsch process is the catalyst stage used to reconstruct synthesis gas into a synthetic crude, which is then refined into fuel products."

Isaiah

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:48:46 AM »

When you convert a  regular gas engine to wood gas you lose some power .
With this in mind would you want to convert a 2 cycle to wood gas?
What do you intend to run with a 2cycle engine?
http://driveonwood.com/forum
 A lot of info on utube type in wood gas or gasifier
 Isaiah

gizmo

• The Back Shed
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:13:14 PM »
Yes a 2 stoke will run on gas, but as you asked, how to lubricate the engine while its running? Just guessing here, but you would need a way to spray oil into the intake. The oil could be very light weight, maybe even light enough to use the existing carburettor? It would need to be jetted to suit, but I think it could be done, the carb would meter in oil depending on throttle position and rpm.

Mind you, a lot of work to get it running right, would be easier to find a 4 stroke engine, a lot easier to convert to gas.

Glenn

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 11:08:57 PM »
or the way gas prices seem to be going even a propane conversion. I'm not sure what it takes for them a carburetor???  13   
MntMnROY 13

Isaiah

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 01:54:31 AM »
 yes a propane carb and a regulator and possibly a  pre heater as the propane will get real cold.
 Isaiah

equiluxe

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:01:13 AM »
Some two stroke engines have oil injection. You could use one of those or create your own oil injection. I suspect the problem with running a two stroke on gas would be overheating of the top ring leading to rapid engine failure. I have run 4 strokes on gas in the past and had problems with valve wear caused by heat and lack of lubrication even with valves and seats designed for use with gas by gas I mean LPG not petrol.

gww

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 08:55:23 AM »
With the monopoly on propane, I wouldn't trust its pricing any more then I would gasoline.
gww

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 02:44:27 AM »
If you're wanting the 2-stroke for small size/consumption, this is a better option

http://golehr.com/product/lehr-eco-trimmer-st025cs/

Engine has 100cc of oil, a true 4-stroke that is already set up to run on compressed gas. 

That may give you fits, since your gassifier might not offer the pressure needed by the propane carb, IDK.

I bought it to set it up "dual fuel", feeding hydrogen blend or pure H2 from electrolyser or storage.

Obviously I plan on spinning a small generator, not trimming weeds.

Ain't got that far yet

Turtle, slow
soli deo gloria

kc7noa

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:11:03 PM »
link seems broken .... whats the product ##

kc7noa

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:26:11 PM »
ST025DS ??

hvirtane

• About Solar Cooking
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2015, 09:06:32 AM »
I don't see there any big problems. If your engine is with an oil pump lubrication. Or if not then if you'll put oil mist in the intake to lubricate. 

For example in New Delhi, India all new rickshaws  with two stroke engines are running with natural gas. Those engines have got oil pumps for the lubrication. I don't see much difference in this respect between wood gas and natural gas.

Ungrounded Lightning Rod

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 03:40:43 AM »
Huh?

The question was about "wood gas", i.e. the carbon monoxide and smoke mixture from air-restricted combustion of wood.  The answers mostly seem to be about LP and natural gas conversions.

Having said that:  The issues are similar:  The main problems for a two stroke woodgas conversion are getting it lubricated correctly (i.e. use one with oil injection or you need to rig up some kind of oil sprayer) and getting the fuel-air mixture right (without injecting a flame into the intake manifold.)

Additionally, there's the issue of the bearings and their lubricant (along with the piston rings traveling over the transfer port) being exposed to the hellish brew of reactive chemicals in the woodgas, rather than a clean mix of hydrocarbons of various molecular weights (for which they were designed).

I'd avoid trying such a conversion on a two-stroke (even an oil-injection design), assuming it would have reliability issues on the crankcase side of the piston, and stick to a four.