Author Topic: sencenbaugh 1000  (Read 2374 times)

solar wannabee

sencenbaugh 1000
« on: October 14, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
i recently purchased a scencenbaugh 1000 wind generator that had never been installed.brand new old stuff, my problem is i cant find any information on it as far as how to wire it into the controller that was purchased with it new or anything for that matter.it has 3 ac wires and 2 field wire connections on the base of the unit itself but that is all greek to me. i have seen posts from kitestrings and doubledipsoon on this forum about this same model so if anybody can help me with this it would be so appreciated

kitestrings

Re: sencenbaugh 1000
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 11:46:41 AM »
Hi SW,

Yes, I had one of the longer running Sencenbaugh's in this neck of the woods - up since '84 or '85.  Took it down last summer and sold it, and another parts machine to doubledipsoon.  I think I may still have another manual.  He's got the original one IIRC.  Is it 12V (1000-14 or 14-1000?).  You'll need to know that.

Basically you have 3-phase AC between the machine and the controller, then two field wires that control when to start, and how much load to put on the alternator - similar to many auto alternators.  The field wires are polarity sensitive, but there should be a +pos and -neg label at the panel.  Then there is a ground wire.  The batt + and - is just that; the load + and - goes to the DC loads, and each has its own breaker (big red reset buttons) up top.

IMO they are pretty robust and if your expectations are right and you have a good site it should serve you well.  Keep oil in it, and blades finished - we did ours about every 6-7 years.  Lightning can occasionally take out the control board, but Jim was still repairing them last I knew.

If you send a me pm I can probably send you a pdf of the manual.

~ks

solar wannabee

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 04:30:21 PM »
i'm not sure how to tell if it is a 14-1000 or a 1000 -14 it is a 12 volt and there are three wire connections on the left side of the base if you are facing the generator and two on the right. i figured the two on the right was field and the left three were ac wires but here is no markings that i can see to tell . i was told i would be better off to get rid of it and buy one of these newer turbines but the sencenbaugh looks like a lot more of a generator than the new ones i see advertised. this is probably not the norm but i am posting my number here so if ks or anyone with knowledge  on this subject could call me collect do so please 479 587 0526 i have a lot of guestions,thanks

kitestrings

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 09:44:48 AM »
The 12V would be a 14-1000 - indicates 14V (12V nominal), 1000 watts -  , I just couldn't remember the order of the numbers.  The dead give-away would be the gauges.  A 12V unit would go 10-16VDC (bottom red/yellow/green gauge), and the amp gauges would go 0-75A.  A 24V unit would go somewhere near double the voltage range (20-32VDC) and the amp gauges may be a bit lower upper scale.  I think the boards are also marked...something like S14-1000.  I think he also made 48V and possibly 110V units, but these would be much less common.

If as you say, you want to "get rid of it", you should be able to find a buyer here.  There are newer units with permanent magnets that probably weren't available in this era of design, and electronics have made leaps of advancement(s), but this machine IMO is more ruggedly built than many of the light-weights.  If you don't have a site, or it's the wrong voltage for your needs, that's another matter.  I'd make you an offer if no one else shows interest.

I can give you a call this w/e.  Where are you located?  I'm in VT.

Kind Regards,

~ks

kitestrings

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 08:57:00 AM »
I trust you got the manual that I sent and could open it okay?  ~ks