Author Topic: stator coil build  (Read 1955 times)

rockhaggis

stator coil build
« on: October 18, 2015, 12:34:46 PM »
Hi

First off ... may I just say what an excellent find this site is.
More so because for the first time ever I found my country represented in the registration drop down box.
For that alone you get many extra brownie points! :)

Background .....

I have a 24volt 500+ amp hour battery bank  > 2000watt DC to AC solar powered  system .. which I used to run various things  on a seperate domestic curcuit.
I want to add a VAWT of about 500 to 1500 watt power. ie: I'll be over the moon with 1500 but also quite happy with 500 watts.

Where I live is known for wind .... so Im working on the basis of being able to rotate a VAWT of x design at 120 RPM to 150 RPM a lot of the time.

I have built a rig comprising of two opposing magnet discs each having 12 x N52 magnets.
 A 9 coil 3 phase wired  in star  stator is the intention.

I have set up a test rig ( a wooden stator housing a single coil ) .
The magnet to coil gap is approz 1.5 mm .

I will be using a wind/solar hybrid controller which I understand will accept the AC from the HAWT raw (unrectified ).

I am currently testing coils to see what parameters will best suit the system

The coils are a standard rectangular shape with the whole in the center being the size and shape of the mangets.
Im using 14awg (1.6mm) enameld copper wire.
Approx 25mts  approx 70+ turns

Im getting 6.2 vpp at 120 RPM  (12htz) an a liniar progression to 15 vpp at 280 RPM (28htz) with a 'v' shaped sawtooth sinewave.

My questions are ...

1.Given what Im aiming for and all expected losses, what vpp should I be looking to achieve for my single coil, bearing in mind the three phase, three coil in series, design?

2. What parameter or measurements  should I adjust.. to alter the wave shape more towards the more desirable box wave form?

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: stator coil build
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
Welcome to the Forum!
While reading your post , I noticed you went from VAWT to HAWT, probably just a typo, but,
So others can help, could you let us know which one you are working on?
It matters a ton with respect to the wind, RPMs and expectations.
WE also like pictures  ;), when you can.
There are people here who's first language is not English, but a picture needs no translator.
Cheers!
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard