Author Topic: New garage going up!  (Read 12791 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
New garage going up!
« on: October 21, 2015, 08:19:32 PM »
After fighting with portable tent style garages for the last 15 years I finally broke down and am putting in a real garage with space for my shop tools. Started construction a month ago by prepping the pad to put it on.

It is going in to the right of the house where the remains of the last tent garage stand. THat was built on a wood platform that we towed into the backyard so I can re-purpose it to a greenhouse next year. That area sloped off to the right and rear quite a bit

Pad started, note the bobcat in the right rear corner to see how much fill was brought in

Almost done, they brought it up another foot after this picture

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: New garage going up!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 08:22:35 PM »
Pole barn style construction, it will have a full interior steel liner and be insulated with R50 in the attic space, 8 inches fiberglass in the walls, 9x16 garage door is R16...

Friday the 16th they ended like this

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
Yesterday they picked back up(had 2 days of heavy winds)

This was 11Am

2PM

4pm

and 5:30 as they finished up for the day. Next step is concrete for the floor(6 inch slab, 1/2 inch rebar 2' on center) then the insulation in the attic and walls goes in then the steel wall panels. Short 2 windows at the moment, they are ordered but not in

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 03:19:11 AM »
Good to see a 'Pole barn style construction' .

I am not used to seeing the openness around buildings, hmm, windy?

That looks a good sub base they put down.

Is that pressure treated timber? do you get wood termites, wood worm beetle etc?

I love the way everything at your garage is done and marked by hours, while I am pottering along by the months.  ;D
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

David HK

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 05:11:14 AM »
Another 5 minute job!

Nevertheless, its interesting to watch - keep posting.

Dave in HK

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 02:50:00 PM »
Any lights / wiring in the ceiling? 
Before they blow in the insulation I would want to have a few fixtures and conduits in place, even if the electrician hasn't shown up yet.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 03:25:35 PM »
I am doing all the wiring surface mounted in conduit so I can make changes easily as my needs change.

Yes it is windy here, average yearly wind speed is 18mph! Peak wind this summer was 110mph!

The posts are pressure treated for the bottom 6 feet and have a 50 year warranty! No real issues here with termites, barn beetles can cause damage but the rest of the lumber was pre-sprayed to stop it.

klsmurf

• "Damn it Jim, I'm a carpenter, not an electrican"
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 09:37:46 AM »
Hi Mary,

Nice pole barn you got there! How are you planning to heat it. Wood?
" A man's got to know his limitations " ------ Harry Callahan

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 07:30:42 PM »
I haven't decided yet on heat... I have natural gas available 10 feet away. Wood means a lot of maintenance as does pellets/corn... plus insurance issues with wood

Simen

• Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2015, 04:46:12 AM »
tie down some tubes (for water-heating) on the rebars on the floor before pouring the concrete - then you have the choice to use whatever you want as a heat-Source. :)
I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do. - (R. A. Heinlein)

sean_ork

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2015, 05:56:05 AM »
tie down some tubes (for water-heating) on the rebars on the floor before pouring the concrete - then you have the choice to use whatever you want as a heat-Source. :)

It's an uninsulated slab

MattM

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 08:51:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing your garage experience.  Looks solid and should serve well for as long as you're around.

Harold in CR

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:32 PM »

Adding a couple of inches of styrofoam under the concrete would not cost that much, and then, the heated floor would work nicely. I did that to a house we built in Arkansas.

Piped hot water from the switched dump load of the 4 KW wind turbine I built. I put 2--2KW water heater elements in a 150 Gallon butane  tank that was sitting on the concrete floor of the attached greenhouse we had. Radiant heat from that tank kept plants from freezing.

We had an automotive engine water pump hooked to a DC generator as a motor. Only ran that gen/motor for 10 minutes at a time. Never had "HOT" water, but, you could feel the difference after the turbine was switched to those heater elements. We were in extreme NW Arkansas in the Ozarks, 40 miles south of Missouri state line..

sean_ork

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 04:23:16 AM »
Just a couple of inches ?

Generally it's 300mm here, and not just Styrofoam, it needs to be construction grade PU, with a compressive strength suited to the slabs use - and edge insulation is a necessity.

If there's plenty of surplus energy that would otherwise be wasted to a dump load, minimal insulation would suffice - loose wire trace heating within the slab is another idea.

Harold in CR

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 09:22:59 AM »

:-[ Probably should have added, we built an earth sheltered house, so, mean ground temps were around 55 degrees. I consulted with the expert of a community college and was told, "Concrete will crush styrofoam".  ::)

We put 4-5" of concrete on 2 layers of 1" styrofoam and wire mesh. . We just wanted to keep the floor from being cold. The pipes were used 1.5" galvanized pipe. Also, we had NO building codes to harrass us. If it wasn't for Lawyers, a LOT of this building code crap would not be needed. They constantly look for ways to suck money out of good products and uses.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2015, 06:42:03 PM »
4 inches of R board in around the outside edge of the slab. I priced putting in pex for in floor heat. The labor and materials was another $2,000 and not in the budget! I don't work out there for hours so a heated floor isn't really needed. Occasional work on my truck, or do some woodworking where I am moving around enough to keep warm. Cheapest and most effective heat per dollar is a simple natural gas ceiling furnace. And I have a tap on the gas mater that is plugged I can use plus the meter is 10' from the side wall of the garage!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
Is there the possibility of building up a few beer/soda can solar heaters?
Nice low tech way to grab a few therms  ;).
I know where you are located, there might be a stretch days where the sun won't even show up,,,but...

Nice building !!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 03:11:14 PM »
Working the concrete, he was doing edges so left footprints that they have taken out with the power float. Needs one more working with the float then just needs to set.

Minnesota code no longer allows sumps for drainage, people were pouring oil down them and it was getting into the ground water... so i will have to get a squeegee and push it out the door if I have a lot of melt off the truck

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 08:21:06 PM »
Still working on it! Weather not cooperating.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2015, 01:49:37 AM »

Adding a couple of inches of styrofoam under the concrete would not cost that much

I put 2" blue foam under a 6" thick slab with a frame rack in it.  Once the shop got up to temp with torpedo heater it was stable. Never bothered with PEX because of intermittent use of the building, but insulation was well worth it; Ohio valley weather.

Thanks for sharing your project, Mary

Turtle
soli deo gloria

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2015, 03:35:08 PM »
At $40 a sheet now for 2" high density foam it was not worth the cost to insulate under the slab for intermittent use. If I can stay above freezing when not out there is all I need.

MattM

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 08:08:41 AM »
Best place to get insulation is commercial reroof sites where they dispose of stuff like 4X8 sheets of polystyrene.  We insulated a barn with 30 pieces that varied between 4" to 12" thickness.  Sure some of it was tapered, but it was free.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 05:13:36 PM »
I live very rural so not an option here... nearest "city" is 2,000 population(20 miles), next closest 2 are 6,000 and 9,000(both right at 30 miles away)...

If I get cold feet out there and can get out my deer stand boot blankets, plus I am putting a heated floor mat out there for the few times a year I may need to stand or sit and use the drill press to do something that takes more time.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 07:05:06 PM »
More progress! Last 2 windows came in(replacements for 2 that were shipped broken) and they have all the wall insulation up and most of the liner purlins. Still have to blow in ceiling insulation and put up the liner steel.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 11:46:54 PM »
Liner and all the window and door trim in and caulked! Just waiting for the insulation contractor! After 2 days of heavy rain the guys were chased off the barns they are putting up by mud. Even around my site we fought mud bringing in materials(which were soaking wet, I have to put the temporary heater out there tomorrow to dry it out). I stepped in the electrical trench by accident and sank 8 inches...  Electrical is roughed in too as you can see by the wire hanging out of the wall.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
Nice!!
IF I was closer I'd bring over my 80,000 BTU propane patio heater :o.

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 10:44:12 AM »
Its really coming along nicely. I have to wonder though are you concerned about sweating at all? I've seen 1 or 2 building constructed in a similar manor as yours that had real problems with sweating
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 05:20:02 PM »
Shouldn't be an issue as well insulated as it is.

keithturtle

• Things that fly
    • aftertherapture
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 10:46:59 PM »
Gotta love progress!

Turtle
soli deo gloria

MattM

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 01:22:48 AM »
Depends on your local moisture content in the soil.  If she back filled with clay it shouldn't be an issue.  If the builder thought it was they'd of put poly down before the pour.

sean_ork

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2015, 04:17:45 AM »
Nice!!

Bring plenty of umbrellas as well

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2015, 09:11:34 AM »
Nice!!

Bring plenty of umbrellas as well

Naw. just a few buckets to recycle the rain water  ;)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2015, 07:02:57 PM »
Insulated the attic space today. Temps immediately rose enough that I took off a layer of jacket to stop sweating. I have power to the breaker box in the garage now and I will have part of it wired and functional tomorrow or Saturday!