Author Topic: New garage going up!  (Read 12815 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: New garage going up!
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2015, 04:53:21 AM »
Watching this with interest... We are part-way through adding more internal wall insulation (IWI) at our house as I think I mentioned on this trhead or elsewhere:

http://www.earth.org.uk/aerogel-on-the-north-face.html

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2015, 07:36:48 PM »
Walls I have are steel outside on a wood frame, 8 inches of fiberglass bat insulation, plastic vapor barrier, steel inside wall. Ceiling is also steel with a vapor barrier and R50 of blown insulation on top. I checked it today, 28 outside, about 55 inside with no heater.

MattM

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 07:30:54 PM »
Should keep pretty close to ground temperature save days of arctic winds.  My old shed was significant wall insulation and never did ceiling and it held 55° during the winter in Nebraska.

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 12:59:59 AM »
Nice building!  Very similar to the one I put up for the fishing boat and other stuff, except I went with a gabled ceiling and had to build my own trusses because couldn't get any from Menards that were what I wanted.  Then I ended up moving my ham radio shack from the house to the far corner in this first picture - built some stud walls for the shack and insulated it separate from the rest of the building.  I heat the ham shack in the winter with the RS-50M Astron power supply, Ameritron amplifier and radio gear.  Keeps it at about 68 degrees in there with the rest of the building cold with the equipment idling, and it will get up to 80+ degrees in there if I'm using the amplifier running a net.

The rest of the building is heated with waste heat from the generator room, which is adjacent to the building on the east side of it, with wood backup for when the generators aren't running in the winter.

And then as fate would have it, the boat and lawnmowers are sitting in the machine shed.  And I got the Harleys, Silver Wing and scooters in there in working on 'em for the winter - putting new Screamin Eagle pipes on the Electra Glide.  My FXR Super Glide and my wife's Sportster aren't being worked on, but they're sitting in there anyway.  And we got the Silver Wing and scooters for sale but never sold 'em last fall, so they're in there too.  So it's now a motorcycle garage LOL!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
Mine has been antenna prep area. 2 towers going up for VHF stuff. 6m and 70cm on tower 2, and 4 m2 2m12's on tower 1 for eme. Had to assemble the 6m antenna yesterday and it sure was nice being able to work without gloves and just a light sweatshirt compared to the 3 layers I had on before that when we got the TMM433hd tower onto the base with 2 bolts so the boom truck can tilt it up next week.