Logged in users > User Diaries

My other hobby, ham radio

(1/14) > >>

Mary B:
I have been working on getting this tower done for a month now. Lot of cabling, building antennas, getting things mounted, tested and finally getting the tower up and running. Tower is a very heavy duty 32 foot crank up. The H frame is 2"OD .25 wall 6061 aluminum tubing. Antennas are 20 feet long and all cable is hardline which is a pain to work with!

Initial testing over the weekend was very very good! Worked a bunch of meteor scatter contacts(bounce signals off the ionized meteor trails) with the longest 1100 miles. Also tested the tracking on a couple of satellites and it worked well!

Rotor does azimuth and elevation so I can point at the moon. Main reason I built this antenna system is moonbounce communications where I use the moon as a passive reflector. Frequency is 144mhz(2 meter ham band).

Also put up a 29 foot tower for 6 meters and 70 cm(50mhz and 432mhz)

Been a lot of work this summer between the new garage and the tower rigging!

DamonHD:
Does 433MHz ISM band stuff ever make it across from Europe?  I don't know what the propagation modes might be, and what local sources you might have...

Rgds

Damon

SparWeb:
You can seriously communicate with Earth-bound stations by bouncing off the moon?!
OMG... googled it:  250 dB losses from sender to receiver. 
"We choose to radio the moon, not because it's easy, but because it is hard."

Stop before you infect me.  I have enough hobbies!

hiker:
My old sideband cb...was fun to mess with in the winter months...had a 17 foot ground plane antenna. Reached out to the lower 48--Australia and a lot of other countries as well..just a stock setup..whip antenna on the truck as well....cb radios kinda died off here..except for the far north...fun stuff...just might have to fire up the old rig..

Mary B:
Seems this was one of the lost posts...  no biggie!

the ISM band stuff is extremely low power and while it may travel a couple hundred miles during troposheric ducting it is not capable of being heard off the moon! Not with current receive technology anyway! ISM stuff is .01 watts! I am using 1,000 watts on 2 meters to bounce a signal off the moon! Guys on 432mhz eme use maximum legal limit of 1,500 watts and some break the laws and push it way past that!

--- Quote from: DamonHD on December 15, 2015, 07:37:20 PM ---Does 433MHz ISM band stuff ever make it across from Europe?  I don't know what the propagation modes might be, and what local sources you might have...

Rgds

Damon

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version