Author Topic: My other hobby, ham radio  (Read 28771 times)

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: My other hobby, ham radio
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2016, 07:13:56 PM »
Yeah I may be in to close to hear it on my vertical...

ChrisOlson

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2016, 09:11:00 AM »
Yeah I may be in to close to hear it on my vertical...

Shouldn't be too close.  At 2 watts it puts a pretty decent signal into the Great Lakes Listening Post during the day, which is about the same distance from here to you, except to the southeast.  All they got for an antenna at that station is one of those little PA0RDT Mini Whips, which is basically a powered antenna in a PVC can and it's no bigger than a ball point pen.  Otherwise there's 7-8 of us (depending on the day) on that frequency exchanging messages back and forth during the day at distances anywhere from 7 miles to 250 miles away up in the Michigan UP, and one in Ontario, Canada.  All of us are using verticals of one type or another, except for the closest station to me that's 7 miles away is using an inverted V 40m dipole.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2019, 02:05:02 AM »
Thought you'd like to check out this site, Mary:

http://www.livemeteors.com/

Is there something special or convenient about 55.240 MHz?

I have to wait for May 6 to try this during a serious meteor shower (the Aquarids).
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2019, 05:05:23 PM »
If my fuzzy memory serves me that was the TV channel 2 audio sub carrier frequency... with digital not sure it is still in use. I just park on 50.125 and when I start hearing a bunch of pings I know things are getting good.