Author Topic: Revisiting rectifiers  (Read 6003 times)

pellets4fuel

Revisiting rectifiers
« on: December 31, 2015, 06:52:23 PM »
I did a fair share of searching past posts on rectifiers.  Learned quite a bit.  Most of the posts are older though, so I thought maybe some new insight has come up.  I have a 12ft machine that I built.  I have the tower and concrete for it done, and will start raising things in the near future.  I need to come up with a rectifier yet though.  Dans' book spells it out pretty plain how to build one, but I am still a little intimidated, and time is also precious.  Is anyone here building them to sell or could you point me in a direction of at least a pre crafted rectifier.  Someone in past posts said check out henhugger on ebay.  His user name comes up, but he don't have anything listed for sale.  I am hoping to find something complete maybe with a box and shorting switch built in.  I did price out the ones Midnite solar made with the rectifier and 3phase breakers for shorting.  They made them for the Bergy XL.  Bergy still has them in stock.  Seems a little much for what it is, but maybe not. 545.00 is what they told me.  I am not sure the rectifier in that box would be big enough though.
Also wondering if anyone has suggestions or a link to what to use for a weather proof e-stop switch at the base of the tower, and an approach to installing the kellum grip for the chord going down through the yaw bearing cap.
Thanks!
David

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

pellets4fuel

Re: Revisiting rectifiers
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 10:23:38 AM »
JW
Thanks for that link back in Dec.  Wanted to just comment on this thread to bump it to hopefully get some more input on my questions.
Thanks!
David

pellets4fuel

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 10:22:23 AM »
Does anyone else have any input on this "old" topic?  The ebay link comes up fine, and I could get that one.  Would one suffice, and is the heat sink on it big enough, or would a bigger one be better?
Are there any other options like say one out of a car or truck alternator?
Thanks!
David

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »
Old but I'll post my bit:

1 - General rule is size it  2 times the continuous load

2 - All ways use way way more heat sink then it needs or that you think it needs

3 - Securely mount them and keep wiring clean

4 - Fuse both AC and DC side if a diode lets go there will be smoke and or flame if not it just explodes! Fuses and shut offs are very good at this point!

5 - Check them from time to time, how often is your choice me it tends to be once a year, remove weak ones be, for they go.

6 - Stud mount units will hurt the pocket book at first but will out live you, not to mention easy to test! Further more easier to mount to a nice massive heat sink! So well worth the initial investment.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!