Author Topic: Can i use carbon fiber or aluminum instead of steal for stator disks?  (Read 2250 times)

adrian

If i'm building a 3 phase alternator with stator coil disk and 2 rotor magnet disks.
Can i use Carbon Fiber or aluminum instead of steal for rotor disks?
I'm guessing this may impact the magnetic field of the entire rotor disk, though, I remember reading somewhere that it is insignificant.
Still i'm not sure, am i loosing 1% or 5% or under 1% of alternator efficiency?
The reason for using other components for rotor is trying to decrease the alternator oveall weight

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Can i use carbon fiber or aluminum instead of steal for stator disks?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 07:39:27 PM »

No you must use steel for magnet rotor disks, steel is needed to complete the "magnetic circuit".

Also the coil stator is best made of polyester resin (fiberglass resin) since it is non conductive.

adrian

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »

No you must use steel for magnet rotor disks, steel is needed to complete the "magnetic circuit".

Also the coil stator is best made of polyester resin (fiberglass resin) since it is non conductive.
Thank you

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 03:03:32 PM »
Can i use carbon fiber or aluminum instead of steal...

We don't condone theft!  :)  But recycling/reusing materials is highly encouraged.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »
As I understand it, the steel on the magnet rotors causes an increase in the change (or flux) in the magnetic field across the coils.  This is another consequence of rules or our universe Maxwell discovered.  Magnetic fields do not exist as a mono pole.   The net magnetic flux out of any specific volume is zero.  So if you help the increase the magnetic field around the back of the rotor, you are inherently increasing the magnetic field strength out the front and across your coils.  It is the magnitude of the changes in the magnetic field that determine the strength of the electric field across your coils which apply force to the electrons inducing an electric current.  If you don't use steel rotors, you will need stronger magnets or more magnetic material to accomplish the same magnetic flux in an axial design. 
A Joule saved is a Joule made!