Author Topic: Stator coils inside aluminum block, any reasons why not?  (Read 1982 times)

adrian

Stator coils inside aluminum block, any reasons why not?
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:03:21 PM »
Can I enclose stator coils between 2 thick aluminum plates?
I can CNC machine 2 x 1/4 aluminum plates to enclose the coils that are slightly under 1/2 thick. Is aluminum going to do any bad to induction? Of course a good isolatino between the coil and alumiunum is needed
Reasons why i would go for aluminum:
1. Make the CNC project 1 time and reuse as many times as needed with minimum effort. Also Minimum resin required.
2. Coils are getting warm/hot at high load, i could solve this problem especially if i use some thermo conductive epoxy

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Re: Stator coils inside aluminum block, any reasons why not?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 06:38:23 PM »
No, Eddie currents. any metal  used to support stator coils will cause a over heating condition, use a non-electrical medium to support the stator coils.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:46:07 PM by JW »

adrian

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 06:56:40 PM »
No, Eddie currents. any metal  used to support stator coils will cause a over heating condition, use a non-electrical medium to support the stator coils.
But here
http://www.fieldlines.com/index.php/topic,148867.0.html
coils are mounted on iron, same as magnets
Is it because of this particular design?

richhagen

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 12:32:39 AM »
As I understand it:  A changing magnetic field will create an electric field (see Maxwell's Equations) which will induce a current in any conductor, including aluminum.  You will create a giant aluminum disk heater because the currents in such a disk will loop around and short circuit within the disk, that is what an eddy current is.  Laminated steel is used in many motors and alternators.  Laminated steel is used instead of solid steel to limit these eddy currents and with the steel the magnetic flux across the coil can be increased.  It is a trade off.  Larger magnetic flux results in greater electric field flux, and greater induced voltage, but you lose a bit of energy to eddy currents as well.  In most of the axial wind turbines, greater magnetic flux is obtained by using massive magnets as opposed to having the losses of a laminated steel stator.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!