Author Topic: My First Alternator, is it any good? Suggestions for improvment are very welcome  (Read 3522 times)

adrian

Hello,
This is the alternator i built a few weeks ago, but today i had the chance to make some tests and i decided to share the results with you.
I made some mistakes in design, but this is a small alternator and i made it to gather some experience, before building a multi KW alternator. The alternator is made from Plexiglas, i should have used steel plates at least for rotor magnets  instead of Plexiglas. I'm attaching photos.
So i have 6 coils, 2.5in x 0.5 in (0.0525 wire, 140 turns 10 x 14)
My magnets are N52 Disk magnets Diameter 1 1/8 x 3/8 thick (16 magnets, 8 on each rotor) 45Lb pull force. They may not be N52 in fact.
Distance between stator and rotor about 1/16 on each side.

For testing i'm using a DC motor that is 1100 RPM @ 30V
On motor side i'm measuring V on motor and Consumption in Watt
On alternator side i'm applying different loads (50 watt resistors, 4Ω, 6Ω, 8Ω, 10Ω, 12Ω, 15Ω, 17Ω, 19Ω, 21Ω, 23Ω, 25Ω, 27Ω) and measuring watts and Volts with a DC watt meter

i used different power supplies to power the motor, 11.1V, 12.5V, 14.6V, 19.1V, 24.5V.
My best efficiency is 46.02% seems to be on a 21-23Ω load at 19.1V. Of course we need to take into account here the efficiency of the DC motor which could be ~80% if not less, it's a 30 years old motor. So the actual alternator efficiency could be ~65%-75%. Am i correct?

Well i was expecting i will squeeze more power from this alternator, but the maximum was ~100Watt @ 30.36% efficiency which is bad.
I'm planning to rebuild the alternator, same magnets, i might replace the coils if needed, steel plates on rotor...
Could you please suggest what other changes i should make to be able to squeeze more power @ higher efficiency while using same magnets?
What is the best

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 03:33:58 PM by adrian »

adrian

More photos

kitestrings

adrian,

Nice set up.

i should have used steel plates at least for rotor magnets  instead of Plexiglas
  Yes.  I believe this will be the most significant change you can make.  Closer gap will also make it stiffer.  Usually this is limited by the minimum mechanical clearances, and affected by how true the stator is made, but your workmanship looks good, so you may be able to squeeze it closer.

The harder challenge is matching the alternator to the prop, and then realizing the load (typically, batteries, is not constant either), so some of the efficiency concerns with the alternator, blades, etc. become secondary.  You'll get to all that, but it looks like you're having fun with this.  It is most satisfying at this stage IMO - spinning things, taking measurements,...seeing the effects of changes.

Good luck, and have fun with it.

~ks

DanG

• 35 miles east of Lake Okeechobee
You could try adding individual keeper-plate steel discs behind each magnet...

StirlingEngine

Nice project! I am very intrested in your progress.

Did you also measure the actual (not theoretical) rpm of the generator?  I can use your data with the designer I am making (work in progress)!

I am planning to build a similar setup to some some testing :) However, I will use my lathe as an rpm input.

https://github.com/FinalFrontierPrototyping/AxialFluxGeneratorDesigner
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 08:54:45 AM by StirlingEngine »

adrian

No, unfortunately i don't have the RPMs

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
once your on steel rotors you  can stack another  layer of magnets on the existing ones