Author Topic: wind sail VWAT  (Read 2415 times)

TECAN

• teslaenergycanada
    • netpipe
wind sail VWAT
« on: February 14, 2016, 12:26:39 PM »

was trying to come up with a simple tarp based VWAT thats light weight just a concept for now. on the right side the bottom bar wasnt supposed to be there. the x's are ropes.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 12:31:37 PM by TECAN »
teslaenergycanada

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
Re: wind sail VWAT
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:15:07 PM »
Chinese about 1000BC.

I have seen the Junk type of sail, with sheets, so the sail can run before, Gybe, Tack then luff into the wind and so on. But I understand it was noisy.

Mostly used for water pumping.
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

TECAN

• teslaenergycanada
    • netpipe
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 09:13:19 AM »
here is another image of it
teslaenergycanada

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 11:08:57 AM »
Chinese about 1000BC.

I have seen the Junk type of sail, with sheets, so the sail can run before, Gybe, Tack then luff into the wind and so on. But I understand it was noisy.

Mostly used for water pumping.

I have seen this picture before. It can be found on page 20 of the Dutch report "Windenergie", report number R200S, from April 1974, written by the students Jos Beurskens, Martin Houët and Paul van der Varst and published by the Department of Physics of the University of Technology Eindhoven. This was the first report of the Wind Energy Group and I joined that group some months later and worked there for almost 15 years. The report is still valuable but I think it is difficult to obtain now.

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 11:44:27 AM »
welcome to the forum .
check your spelling.
they call them vawt
 ::)
looking at the image, my guess is it will make a big noise  every time one of your fabric  vanes moves into the wind.
like in a sail boat when you tack and the wind fills the sail.
if the fabric was stretched tight  or doped like they used to do on ww1 airplanes you could avoid that .
you could have 4 rigid sails but you have to place them at  the right angle at the right time

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:00:06 PM by electrondady1 »

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:32:21 PM »
Hi Adriaan.

My original above post, Photo taken in 1958.
Science And Civilisation in China, Volume 4 Part II Mechanical Engineering.
By Joseph Needham and Wang Ling, Cambridge University Press 1965.

The below photo of an Etching may be of interest.?

Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:45:56 AM »
The disadvantage of this type of sail windmill is that at a certain position, the sail makes a big move from one side to the other and this shock load will cause a lot of wear of the sail and the turning points. This can be prevented if the sail makes half a revolution for one revolution of the rotor.

The first windmill which I have built already in 1975 was working according to this principle. I have described this principle in my public report KD 417 "The rotating blade, vertical axis wind turbine". It worked nicely but disadvantages are that you need a mechanism to drive the blades, that it needs a vane to keep it in the wind and that a lot of material is needed for a certain swept rotor area. So I would never use this principle to generate electricity. But for water pumping with a piston pump it might be an option as the rotor has a very large starting torque coefficient.