Author Topic: Harbor Freight Solar set as a starter set?  (Read 3742 times)

Valalvax

Harbor Freight Solar set as a starter set?
« on: April 01, 2016, 06:41:24 PM »
Harbor Freight sells a 45W solar set for 140-200 that comes with an inverter, solar panels, etc... wondering if anyone has tried it, is it worth it? Or should I just save up for a more expensive set to start out?

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
Re: Harbor Freight Solar set as a starter set?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2016, 08:15:47 PM »
Save and get better panels and charge controller!Like this one for $308.. https://www.solarblvd.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_272&products_id=2749 140 watts, charge controller, cable and mounting brackets.

dnix71

• SuperHero Member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 11:33:50 AM »
Harbor Freight used to be a nice starter kit back in the days when solar was $4 to $5 watt. The price of HF's kit just keeps going up while the cost of better solar continues to drop.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Renogy-Solar-Bundle-Kit-100W-Monocrystalline-12V-Solar-Panel-30A-Charge-Controller-MC4-Adapter-Kit/9116385/product.html   Twice the panel for the same price. Free shipping.

OperaHouse

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2016, 02:49:34 PM »
That is a better deal than you can get on ebay from them now.  I have nine of these panels I run my camp with.  Work them pretty hard since they are always heating water when not charging.  They will be around longer than many other names.  The HF is a dead end.  The panels and controller can not be used with any other panels.

Your first purchase is a serious decision.  You will want further panels to match.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 03:12:39 PM by OperaHouse »

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 10:02:03 AM »
I have both the older setup (IT was my first purchase) and the newer one with the LCD display.
I agree with the others. Since there are better deals out there I would go with something else.
Mine still work, older PDU was been repurposed when it's internals quit, they are no lnger on my primary setup, they now keep the marine batteries charged for patio lights and hydroponics .
Tho one did not survive this last wind storm :-(.

Hope this helps
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

DanMc

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
I bought this HF system to experiment with.  It did a nice job of keeping my cabin batteries fresh.  Now I'm looking at a modern 500 watt system that will actually charge the batteries. 

The HF system was good for learning about solar, and getting into it on a whim.  Not sure what I'll do with it, maybe hook up those panels to batteries that are sitting idle. 

Johann

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 09:03:27 PM »
A 100 watt renogy panel will cost $140 including shipping and the HQ 100 watt panel is $120 including shipping this is a renogy panel also. I have three 100 watt mono renogy installed and 2 more in storage which will be installed in the near future.
A Renogy panel is cheaper per watt and also requires less area per watt than a Habor Freight panel would. But remember that you have to buy a controller if you buy Renogy panels or other panels.

Run 2 Renogy panel in series and you have a 24 volt nominal system. Besides those panels are still small enough to fit in my car to haul it where I want/need them and I can handle them by myself.

Of course bigger panels are cheaper per watt but you may need extra hands to handle them.

Valalvax

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 08:10:09 PM »
Thanks for all the information, I kind of figured the HF set was a no go, but wanted to see what people actually thought, interesting about how the price has gone up.. meant to respond earlier in the month when I first posted, but always thought about it while at work...

Unfortunately for me, solar has once again taken the backburner, but this time it's to buying a house, so that's great for my future endeavors, a little easier to set up panels when you're not renting in a complex

BrightastheSun

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »
Yeah, landlords tend to restrict solar projects so you can truly make it your own now. Congratulations and I hope the move goes well. Be certain not to just take the panels at the best price. I saw on another post surplus panels that didn't make it on a solar farm being sold at a less than fantastic discount. Spending that little more can mean the  difference between happiness or heartbreak down the line. You never want to end up having a system you are stuck repairing too frequently or wishing you had more power produced from.
BrightastheSun

Innovation relieves dirty fuel reliance