Author Topic: Gravity battery? Some one looking for a hand out or viable idea?  (Read 3710 times)

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
http://gravitybattery.info/

I say some one just hoping to get a grant to pocket as this idea has been don to death.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Gravity battery? Some one looking for a hand out or viable idea?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 03:37:15 PM »
This is similar to pumping water into a reservoir , then letting it flow back down when peak demand is back up.
The stuff they say isn't exactly correct.
It's certainly NOT maintenance free, the spools will need grease, the motor to lift the weights will need attention from time to time, etc.
AND why not just call them weights?

Pretty graphics tho  :o
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:41:43 PM by Bruce S »
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

joestue

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 03:56:16 PM »
seems to me, more of a cable fatigue experiment.

44$ will get you 1200 feet of poly rope. if you've got a mine shaft 1200 feet deep, and a spool on the order of a 50 gallon drum, you can do a 1 layer winding.

If you can manage 100 pound load, that's 120,000 foot pounds or about 162KJ, or about the energy stored in a laptop battery.

3/16th stainless steel cable is 600 bucks per 1000 feet and that might get you a 1000 pound load, or 10 times the energy, for 10 times the price.

Question being, running the cables at 1/4th the breaking strength.. how long do they last?

My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

madlabs

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
Ridiculous. Just the cost of drilling and casing the bores would buy many batteries. And that would be under optimum geological conditions. And maintenance free? I think not.

Perhaps in a few locations, where there is an existing mine shaft or something.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:22:30 PM »
Yup tried and failed as I say, pumped storage is miles ahead of that idea, batteries still best bang for the buck and hell of a lot less maintenance even with flooded cells.
Ignorance is not bliss, You may not know there is a semie behind you but you'll still be a hood ornimant!

Nothing fails like prayer, Two hands clasped in work will achieve more in a minute then a billion will in a melenia in prayer. In other words go out and do some real good by helping!

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »
Add in flooding that would slow the weights so they would need to be constantly pumped to keep out seepage.

Ridiculous. Just the cost of drilling and casing the bores would buy many batteries. And that would be under optimum geological conditions. And maintenance free? I think not.

Perhaps in a few locations, where there is an existing mine shaft or something.

XeonPony

• Global Moderator
  • Sanity is over rated!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 11:19:50 AM »
We should point them to here lol, give the antidepressant industry a sales boost, mind you I do not think they're all that interested in reality other wise it'd never have come this far.