Remote Living > Heating

PV Direct to Resistance Heating

(1/3) > >>

adobejoe:
I know it is more efficient to space heat via evacuated tube or flate plate solar. But I am curious, I have a garage with plumbing and I just want to introduce a little heat. How practical is it to direct wire a resistive heating element to PV panels? Say, two 250 watt panels for 500 watts at 24VDC 16 amp (I know it will be higher) and a 24 volt 15 amp Load resistor. OF course include an inline fuse. Second option a simple load controller and two 12 VDC batteries in series? Thoughts?

DamonHD:
It's not necessarily lots more expensive to use PV (though arguably not the best use of its high-exergy output), but providing the correct loading to match the panel output as light levels change is non-trivial.

Putting batteries in there will wear them out fast, IMHO.

But let's hope some better-informed opinions come along shortly...

Rgds

Damon

OperaHouse:
That is how I heat all my hot water at the camp with excess PV power.  The panels would be best placed in series and operated at power point voltage.   Direct connection is absolutely the wost thing to do ad would result in power loss of more than 60%.  The controller you would have to build but it is fairly  simple.

adobejoe:
Okay, so I am in Montana and there is low light in the winter, critical time. I have access to Poly silicon, or thin film (100 watt schott). I think the thin film may be better choice? The critical months are Dec-Feb of course, and so what if I just set up two batteries and use a monrningstar with low voltage disconnect, as the feed for the element. Doable?

OperaHouse:
No batteries, no standard charge controller.  Panels have to operate at power point.  I believe costs are comparable with direct solar methods, but 500W is a joke.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version