Author Topic: Salt water batteries  (Read 2519 times)

thirteen

• Single going totally off grid 1,1, 2013
Salt water batteries
« on: May 23, 2016, 02:26:55 PM »
I read an article and looked up some information on salt water batteries. Has anyone here seen any or does anyone have them. Sounds ?? but I am also wondering if they really work for off grid usage? I sent a requested for more information but no answer yet.
I am going to buy batteries this fall and am thinking about these. I would like to talk to someone who has them.  They say 10 years and it sounds good but a lot of people seem to get more life out of the acid batteries if maintained correctly. 13
MntMnROY 13

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: Salt water batteries
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:23:58 PM »
I have done some initial investigation (and spoken to a sales droid) and they seem real, but big and heavy, and I don't know the charging parameters yet.  Some of the more programmable charge controllers will probably be able to handle them fine, but I don't know.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:56:39 PM »
The last salt water batteries I came across was some 40 years ago and they were in a torpedo. They were about 1 foot across and 3 feet long and generated 50kw for 6 minutes. Most of the sea water that was pumped through them was for cooling!! No surprise that they were primary (non-rechargeable).

I think SAFT still makes them!

Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

Deveak

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2016, 09:56:00 AM »
They cost a ton compared to lead. The only advantage is has is predictable life cycle and use. You get 3000 cycles regardless of DOD so using a smaller battery is more economical. Compared to a good fork truck tubular cell it really doesn't have enough to justify the cost.