Author Topic: STEPPER MOTOR REWIRE  (Read 1547 times)

dgeneral02

STEPPER MOTOR REWIRE
« on: May 27, 2016, 10:13:42 AM »
I need assistance to rewire a small stepper motor i intend to use for 12v battery charging while i work on furling on my other machine i built from an lg dd motor. I intend to carve GOE222 blades for this unit just like i did for the bigger unit. The first day the bigger unit went on the tower it did not spin even as the wind began to pick up that night. I woke up the next morning and saw the blades spinning. The machine flew unloaded however. The wind grew stronger on the third day and before noon the machine began to over speed and cause the tower to vibrate too much. I hooked a small dc fan to it which seemed to keep the speed down but soon the fan could no longer keep the speed down and it began to over speed again. In fact i intend to usea  smaller wire gauge to increase charging current. Can any one suggest what wire size and configuration will be suitable for 12v battery charging?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 11:07:17 AM by dgeneral02 »
Peter Anongo

joestue

Re: STEPPER MOTOR REWIRE
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:25:42 PM »
That may not be a stepper motor, but rather a reluctance motor. if it is a stepper, now that you removed the rotor from it the magnetic field strength may be about half of what it was. not a good option anyway as its only rated for 2 newton meters of torque.

What's wrong with the LG direct drive motor? can you install a 2 or 3:1 gear or chain drive between the motor and turbine?
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

dgeneral02

Re: STEPPER MOTOR REWIRE
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:20:01 AM »
Currently I don't have a battery to connect to the turbine and it doesn't furl. I was scared what would happen in a rainstorm so I took it down.
Peter Anongo