Author Topic: Water storage tank  (Read 7197 times)

Frank S

• Home with a view of Double mountain
Water storage tank
« on: June 19, 2021, 04:47:27 PM »
This is probably one of my larger builds that is not a building even though it will have an enclosure which will be a pump and filtration shack
3 years ago I bought a 3000 gallon pressure tank that was used as water storage the tank was rated to 60 PSI, about 6 months back I finally had it hauled to my place and dropped off in front of my shop and I have been wanting to put it to use ever since. So over the past couple of weeks I repaired the clean out man hole should be called the child hole because no one over the age of say 10 years old would ever be able to fit through an 8 by 14inch opening anyway.
Then I set about to add some ports nipples and valves for future use One end I just removed the cap that was on the coupling and installed a 3 inch gate valve the other end is where I did most of the work it had a 3" nipple sticking out which I welded on 2 2'pipe nipples and a 3/4" coupling then at the open end of the 3 inch nipple I welded a 3/8" thick washer with a 1 1/2" 12 ft long pipe in the center which extends almost to the other end of the tank internally this will be the out take for the water to be piped to the water tower at my house. the reason for this was I will be filling and removing the water from the same end but I wanted the out flow to be from the far end it is all about my planned circulation and continuous filtration flow scheme
the stand for the tank or tower if your will is just over 10 ft tall with a mezzanine just over 6 ft from what the floor level will wind up being this gives me a 5 ft by 8 ft floor area located about 4 ft below the bottom of the tank which will be the location of at least 1 possibly 2 35 to 50 gallon filter arrangements and several pumps
On both ends of the stand I mounted platforms for accessibility to the valves and piping without having to stand on a dang ladder I added a narrow catwalk along 1 side to access either end and a ladder stair up to 1 of the platforms
The tank is situated about 5 or 6 feet away from the well since I plan on constructing a windmill over the well
I will probably also have an electric pump for when there is no wind I have my 1.1 KW solar system that I may install on the tower later as well but I have a 50 amp 240v supply at the pile next to the stand. So wind solar or grid the means of getting water out of the ground circulated through filters and pumped to the house will have that problem covered
the tank is also high enough that it will gravity flow to the water tower at the house but not up into the tower I will be able to have non pressured flow to the garden or the yard
As with the existing water tower I have the capability to pump water into the storage tank from a truck tank or to refill the tank of a forest service fire truck but with the 3000 gallon storage I also have a 3 inch drop line as well as a 2 inch drop line
14183-0
14184-1
« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 09:17:01 PM by Frank S »
I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

MattM

Re: Water storage tank
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 11:25:49 PM »
With that big roof in the background it begs the question... rainwater collector?

Frank S

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 12:38:07 AM »
With that big roof in the background it begs the question... rainwater collector?
Slated as a future system as a supplemental resource for lawn and garden irrigation
 Just as the 50 amp electrical supply will not be the primary energy resource for the well, or to power the filtration system.
 My overall long range plan is to have 75% of my grid power to be nothing but backup energy

I live so far outside of the box, when I die they will stretch my carcass over the coffin

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 03:18:57 AM »
Slated as a future system as a supplemental resource for lawn and garden irrigation
 Just as the 50 amp electrical supply will not be the primary energy resource for the well, or to power the filtration system.
 My overall long range plan is to have 75% of my grid power to be nothing but backup energy

Frank S, I said something similar to your statement 21 years ago, now folk reckon that our project here in Normandy, France is very eco and sustainability aware.

Actually Frank when i worked it out we now save about $5000 a year against utilities bills, as one thing is for sure those so called main suppliers Bills will not get any cheaper.

We spent $7000 on 18kW 51 off PV panels, all except 3, were medium quality. The modern 120 cell monos are even cheaper nowadays at $110 per 370W panel.

Cabling etc about another $1000 but most from ebay or friends etc.

Equipment costs were minimal as most GTI's  and controls was used second hand, the only expensive thing was for 5kW PV on DC DC Chargers at about $1000,  (I use 5kW of PV to finish and float charge the Batteries.)

New Batteries, Lead Acid Marine/Golf cart type at 48v 62KW at a price of $130 per KW.......$6300

In 21 years we have changed all are batteries at least once.

Nice to see your works progressing, Nice one Frank!
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

tanner0441

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 05:16:41 AM »
Hi

It must be very nice to have room to make plans like that come to fruition. With the filtration are you having UV as well? I added a submerciable 13W  UV to the water strage tank on my motor home. It doesnt need to run 24/7 just a couple of hours a day but it means I dont get the thin slimy film on the inside if the tank that is often ascociated with RV and marine fresh water tanks, it also means I can sterilise the tank when it's empty, avoiding chlorine flushes so often.

If I did it again I would pull water from the tank and circulate it through an outboard UV so the water is also moving.

As for the comment on things that are now "Trendy" I have a book from 1953.... "Heat pump applications for industrial processes."  My parents had solar hot water on their house and pool back in the early 70s

Brian.

Frank S

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2021, 09:40:17 AM »
My planning was when I started work on the water tank was at first to simply pour a pair of footings then set the tank and saddles on them, construct a windmill to pump the well water through a 300 lb sand/ charcoal then into the storage tank and leave it at that. Then simply pump the water from storage to my existing water tower I have at the house and rely on my final 3 stage filtration system to do the rest.
 Then the old tired brain cells began working over time stinking up the house the more i thought about it, the more I decided I should do more.
  For the past 3 years since I constructed my water system I have been hauling city water at 300 gallons a trip which hasn't been that bad, nor has it been something which has otherwise been time consuming or financially draining. We only go to town when we need supplies and always try to have an empty tank on my truck each time, sometimes I would porously have to drain out enough water from the tower onto the garden, the plants the wife has growing or on the lawn just to have enough empty volume in the tower to to accept a tank full of water before we headed to town.
 Every so often I completely drain the tower of its 600 gallons to be able to refill with fresh water this seems to have a positive effect on the longevity of my filters as well.
  So in thinking about my accepted routine if I am now going to be my own main supplier and if at all possible do not plan on having to chlorinate or otherwise chemically treat my storage, I would need to take my water production to the next level. The most logical course of action for this would be to elevate the storage tank and take advantage of gravity in the filtration process plus my well has a history of silting up with sand meaning the previous owners had to have it back flushed every few years although a lot of this I suspect was due to their having a 35 GPM pump in the well drawing the water through the strata at a high rate of flow.
  I know for a fact that the well service guy had to service the well every 3 or 4 years sometimes more often Of course it was in his best interest not to teach the folks how to take steps to prevent this from happening, that and most people would not have the resources or abilities available to that I have.
 My proposed continuous flow filtration system should #1 remove most pathogens should they exist prior to the water being pumped up into the storage tank and #2 reduce or prevent most soluble particulates from accumulating in the tank, #3 I will have the ability to back flush the well itself with clean water in much the same way a swimming pool system is flushed, should the need arise without having to pull the  well. The only time the well should have to be pulled would be to replace the so called leathers in the pump cylinder.
 And yes there are plans for continuous UV as well as infused aeriation in the works   

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
Sure beats the hell out of my little salvaged 6gallon water tank sitting about 7 feet up from the ground so I don't have to go inside for "warm" water !!

B-)
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

tanner0441

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 03:28:37 PM »
Hi

If you want to go the whole hog look at Ozone water treatment. It is used on a large scale by the water treatment companies, it is also used in public swimming pools to reduce or eliminate the need for chlorine. They also remove suspended solids by passing water into a storage tank then pressurise it to about 150 PSIG the releasing the pressure suddenly, that causes nuclearisation where bubble form on the suspended particles and carry them up to the surface where they are skimmed off. Bit like dropping those sweets into a bottle of Coke.

I'm not a lover of reverse ozmosis as it strippes everything from the water good or bad and more water goes to waste than is used.

Brian

MattM

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2021, 11:18:40 PM »
I can remember filling up a large water bladder that filled up the ten foot bed in the one ton.  Back in the early 90s it was $1 in Omaha.  Of course water was abundant there.  What is it up to there?

Frank S

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 02:29:53 AM »
I can remember filling up a large water bladder that filled up the ten foot bed in the one ton.  Back in the early 90s it was $1 in Omaha.  Of course water was abundant there.  What is it up to there?
If I haul it myself from the city down spout it costs $14.00 a thousand.
 But I only have 2 300 gallon totes that are suitable for hauling potable water in I keep 1 in the back of my pickup all the time and occasionally will haul both of them. But even at that it would only require 5 trips to town to initially fill the tank to use for back flushing the well with 1 of my 3" trash pumps if I drop a 2" poly line to the bottom of the well the pump will wash any silt and sand up to the surface through the 5" casing.
 Currently water is standing within 25 feet of the surface of the 60 ft well it is silted up to about 45 feet right now . When it was drilled in 1975 they driller did not gravel it in properly, but nothing short of re-drilling it can solve that   

MattM

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 05:43:11 PM »
That's still quite affordable to the average homestead.  That's not such a bad deal when wells are not so cheap.

Frank S

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 04:11:48 AM »
That's still quite affordable to the average homestead.  That's not such a bad deal when wells are not so cheap.
I live in a county of fewer than 1900 people we have 1 incorporated town in the entire county and half the population of the county lives there.
 Amazingly there are 2 well drilling companies and 4 well servicing companies ,
 I talked to one of them several years ago asking about my well he said he would come out and blow it out with air pressure or flush it out with water pressure or both if need be for around $2000.00 or if it just needed a pump he would pull it and replace the pump for $1000.00
 I pulled it myself by hand without even needing a block and tackle the pump was fine though sanded up some I cleaned out the screen and put it back when I turned it on it would suck down and cavate in a matter of 3 minutes of free flow so I just left it alone and built a 600 gallon storage and filter system, we've been hauling water now since 1214
 I had thought for years that I would ask a neighbor to stop by with his water truck and flush the well but never got around to it He flushes out several of his wells every so often on the 4500 acres he farms and has live stock on plus hauls 3 to 5000 gallons to water  daily his stock where there's not a well . He has a well that can produce 240 gallons a minute.
  Now that I have my tower in place once I get time to hook it up I can have it filled or fill it myself then flush out the well myself. Or if I would take the time to get my Schramm pneuma tractor running I would have a 300 CFM air compressor to blow the well down with air.
 Heck for way less than 2 K I have enough junk laying around and with the Schramm I could fabricate something that would almost but not hardly resemble a drilling ring and drill a new bore hole is I so took a mind to..
 I could make a rotary table out of an old truck rear end I have several of those. I have the gin pole with a winch for the loader of my back hoe so there is the derrick the pneuma tractor of an air compressor and I have about 300 ft of drill pipe. that only leaves a rotary swivel a hose and a bit. I would machine the swivel fabricate the bit and I might even have a 2" air hose that is still good I know roughly where and how deep the aquifer runs. that only leaves a permit from the state which I know how to acquire, who needs a well digger?     

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 11:49:18 AM »
How deep is the water there frank? Is the well cased the whole way or just drilled in rock? Is the well casing steel or plastic? There is a lot you can do with an existing well if you are a little creative. (I don't think you lack for that).

We have about 15 wells on our place here for cattle.  They are mostly shallow large bore 30" casing wells, but i have been doing some cheap 4" wells with a homebuilt rig.  The deepest completed is 70' but i have drilled to 130'

Frank S

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 12:25:57 PM »
How deep is the water there frank? Is the well cased the whole way or just drilled in rock? Is the well casing steel or plastic? There is a lot you can do with an existing well if you are a little creative. (I don't think you lack for that).

We have about 15 wells on our place here for cattle.  They are mostly shallow large bore 30" casing wells, but i have been doing some cheap 4" wells with a homebuilt rig.  The deepest completed is 70' but i have drilled to 130'
My well is 60 feet water stands to 25 feet below the surface.
 the well is cased with a 5" PVC pipe  reportedly cased to the bottom with the last 2o feet being perforated but I don't know this as a fact.
I have built rigs for others ranging from a portable unit driven by a lawnmower engine all the way to trailer mounted 400 HP 6000 ft depth rigs
 I have enough materials to construct something to deepen the well using a smaller bit boring down through the existing casing should it ever come to that.
 I also have another well on the property about a 1/4 mile away that has a 6" PVC casing not sure of the depth as it is dry and can only drop about 40 feet of weighted line down it it could be much deeper and just filled in or someone started back filling it. That one might be worth drilling deeper in the future to see if it can be reclaimed it would be nice to have a functioning well back there for live stock should I decide to raise some beef 

Frank S

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 11:51:35 PM »
The vent filters came in today
this tank has 2 2" pipe ports on top and could either be used for pressure relief valves or vents
 I needed vents for my planned application but I didn't want insects and small birds to be able to fly inside.
 My solution was to order a pair of 60 mm motorcycle air filters Nearly zero restriction but no flying critters are going through the screens
14187-0

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 12:44:50 PM »
Love seeing stuff re-purposed for something totally different tan what it was intended for! I do it a LOT LOL Like my lightning entrance panel for the ham radio antennas... this was floating down the river with a case of beer and ice in it... we snagged it with a lure and pulled it in. Drank the beer, kept the cooler even though I didn't need another one.

Now it is an insulated electrical box, since it has 2 2" PVC pipes through the wall the insulation cuts down on cold air infiltration plus during a lightning bleed off event any arcing stays internal so less chance of fire. And it DOES have arc marks from that direct hit on the 2 meter antennas. Everything survived thanks to 16+ ground rods all bonded together with 1" wide copper strap.

Frank S

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2021, 01:16:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing your upcycled cooler / electrical box.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2021, 08:09:41 PM »
My pvc cased well had plugged perforations recently and production was down to almost zero.  I think it was an iron bacteria sludge plugging problem. 

Anyway, my solution was to take 1-1/4" poly pipe with a 90 on the bottom and a chunk of inner tube rubber wrapped around the free leg of the 90 and clamped on to somewhat force the water into the perforations in the casing.  I pumped about 500 gallons down while working the hose up and down and around different directions un the well bore.  It washed out all the perforations and the well produces better than new. 

Something like that might work for you frank.  Its worth a shot if you think the perforations might just be plugged up.  I used very chlorinated water, so it shock chlorinated at the same time and cleaned it up very nice. 

Free beer and a free cooler and you were already fishing.  That has to be the best day ever. 

Frank S

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2021, 09:35:16 AM »
My pvc cased well had plugged perforations recently and production was down to almost zero.  I think it was an iron bacteria sludge plugging problem. 

Anyway, my solution was to take 1-1/4" poly pipe with a 90 on the bottom and a chunk of inner tube rubber wrapped around the free leg of the 90 and clamped on to somewhat force the water into the perforations in the casing.  I pumped about 500 gallons down while working the hose up and down and around different directions un the well bore.  It washed out all the perforations and the well produces better than new. 

Something like that might work for you frank.  Its worth a shot if you think the perforations might just be plugged up.  I used very chlorinated water, so it shock chlorinated at the same time and cleaned it up very nice. 

Free beer and a free cooler and you were already fishing.  That has to be the best day ever.

Your post actually gave me an idea to make a nozzle for the end of a 3" polly line

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2021, 02:08:04 PM »

I took home 3 nice flathead catfish between 5 and 10 pounds, released 2 20+ and a 35+ pounder! Was a great night of fishing! Got home at 4AM LOL medium heavy 6' rod, a Johnson Century reel, 10 pound test line, big hook, 8-12 inch creek chub or sucker minnow for bait and 2-3 ounce of slip sinker to keep it on the bottom. Set drag just loose enough the bait couldn't swim off with it but a catfish picking it up felt little drag, or I used a rock to hold the line down on the mud, a hit would lip the rock off the line and the catfish could take the bait because the reel was tripped to let line out(my preferred way but we don't always have mud to stick a rock into a little ways). Catfish like to grab the bait then mouth it, they don't take it all the way in their mouth right away.

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2024, 01:41:46 AM »
At Night The Cure 13.02.08 Forum Danmark