Author Topic: Control for heating with solar off grid no batteries  (Read 21100 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
    • Earth Notes
Re: Control for heating with solar off grid no batteries
« Reply #81 on: November 16, 2016, 01:25:10 AM »
Is this any help for your reading list?

https://www.arduino.cc/

Note that there are MANY suppliers for this kit, name and no-name, and putting some versions together requires fewer than 10 components anyway, so if you can fab your own boards or solder stripboard then maybe you don't even need to buy boards beyond initial prototypes once you understand what you are doing.

My Arduino-based kit, eg in the smart radiator valves I'll be flogging later this week, with EEPROM and Flash and a couple of kbytes of RAM, uses a base draw of a few microwatts, up to hundreds including amortised costs of driving motors.  My Raspberry Pi (2) that helps manage my off-grid system and runs my Internet servers and is full Linux machine with 1GB of RAM, etc, uses generally under 1 watt.  Also very very good and cheap kit, but a world away in terms of applications:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Rgds

Damon

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #82 on: November 16, 2016, 07:16:08 AM »
I've been following this,even wanted to reply a few times,,,BUT work keeps getting in the way :-D.
To further help, there's even a helper program you can work with long before you purchase a unit.
Go to this website
https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

There's even a download for Linux (which is what I use at home). It's even portable, I run it from a 1Gig USB.

I like running it for programs before I load it up on the unit.

Hope this helps
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

OperaHouse

« Reply #83 on: November 16, 2016, 07:23:07 AM »
I'm starting a thread for these general questions about getting started with UNO.

Mary B

« Reply #84 on: November 16, 2016, 04:10:09 PM »
We had this go round on the corn burner forum(sadly gone). Guys claimed putting a coil of copper in the corn stove gained heat without using more fuel to maintain the room hot air temp... even after showing them the physics formulas they still claimed these huge heat gains...If you remove heat from the fire to heat water then less heat is now available to heat the air in the heat exchanger! Only ones that that actually reclaimed heat were in the exhaust path and that created condensation and corrosion issues when burning corn!

george65

« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2016, 06:42:17 PM »

Thanks everyone for the reading suggestions and heads up.
I get it now. And also that I am incredibly thick at times as well.  No secret there.

Anyway now I'll have to look in what to learn. So far it seems there are 3 basic levels, Rasberry pi, uno and nano. Maybe I'll start with the uno even if it is overkill and costs a few bucks more. I'll look at a kit with a couple of spare boards. They seem to be under 6 bux each on fleabay.

I think this will be my xmas present. Give me something to play with and learn.

george65

« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2016, 06:51:43 PM »
Guys claimed putting a coil of copper in the corn stove gained heat without using more fuel to maintain the room hot air temp... even after showing them the physics formulas they still claimed these huge heat gains...

I have seen this type of thinking in many things particularly on the net. People get an idea in their head and nothing you can say, demonstrate or do will change their minds. They will even admit the physics are right but still claim some magic happening taking place that makes their admitted impossibility real.
I have seen some real doozy discussions over HOH /browns gas, fuel Pellets you put in your tank, free energy  and other nonsense which people are singularly minded ignorant to all evidence it is rubbish. Not only are they convinced of the fantasy, they are stupefied why anyone else should even question, let alone disparage it.

It can be quite scary sometimes how one track minded people can be on the most ridiculous beliefs when there is so much proof what they are espousing cannot physically be possible. 

OperaHouse

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »
And think of a solar panel, draw current from it and it cools down.

ontfarmer

« Reply #88 on: November 18, 2016, 05:04:06 AM »
Read  " Getting started with  UNO "  found out that pin 13,  blinking light on mine was not programed.  Followed the instructions that you gave  ( must of got lucky ) it changed just like you said.

OperaHouse

« Reply #89 on: November 21, 2016, 06:45:39 AM »
Been doing some slumming on ebay and found these four channel opto-isolators cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191549940263?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

These would make a much easier build.  They use a 5.1K pullup resistor for drive.  t would be easy to parallel another resistor under the board or parallel two channels to get higher drive.  There are not any suitable FET modules at this time for water heating, but hard wiring a couple FET is pretty easy. he IRF520 ones have too low a voltage and the IRF540 ones have no heat sinking and the copper  traces are too small for the current.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 07:02:46 AM by OperaHouse »

ontfarmer

« Reply #90 on: November 21, 2016, 08:48:28 AM »
Just ordered the  4 channel opto-isolater modules.

Thanks

ontfarmer

« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2016, 01:34:40 PM »
[quote author=OperaHouse

These would make a much easier build.  They use a 5.1K pullup resistor for drive.  t would be easy to parallel another resistor under the board or parallel two channels to get higher drive.  There are not any suitable FET modules at this time for water heating, but hard wiring a couple FET is pretty easy. he IRF520 ones have too low a voltage and the IRF540 ones have no heat sinking and the copper  traces are too small for the current.

I ordered the  four channel opto-isolators that OperaHouse  found they are coming from
Hong Kong hope to have them in a couple weeks. This will be great to see them work. I
will let you know when they arrive.

ontfarmer

« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2016, 03:27:16 PM »
While waiting on parts to get here,  have any of you guys put together a system to circulate
hot water ?  What kind of a pump is best,  rad to pump the water through ?

ontfarmer

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2016, 04:51:16 AM »
I would like to thank OperaHouse  and you other ones for the help received on my project.
Have run into some health problems, maybe a bit of time before get back at it.

Thanks

george65

« Reply #94 on: December 18, 2016, 05:55:19 AM »

I was reading over this thread again today.
I would really like to build one of these but it's just way too far over my head. Seems like the posts here are like 1 in 3 out of the full discussion. :0)
No way I can figure it out without a connection diagram and parts list.
 Been looking to see if I can find something with them for about 4 hours today but can't find anything except ripoff priced commercial units.
I'm really surprised there aren't a load of people wanting to do this. I think a few have had the idea and been put off. I must have read 50 threads where people asked and then got people whining about not efficient and suggesting other things instead of just answering the question asked.
Hell of a lot easier to run wires to a standard heater than fool around with pipes and plumbing and other things for abortion or tube type heaters and a lot cheaper with power too.

Ah well, Maybe there is a cheap Chinese board I can find. No luck so far. 

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2016, 08:51:00 AM »
george65;
I can be daunting to say the least. Getting back into writing programs for me is crazy hard.
I have to overcome my own short comings just to stay focused.
I've learned the hard on track with what I'm working on , not go play with a another one.
THAT can be the problem with an device that is so useful and cheap.

A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

ontfarmer

« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2016, 01:29:26 PM »
  Merry Christmas to everyone

The very best in 2017

OperaHouse

« Reply #97 on: December 24, 2016, 03:07:35 PM »
Hope the new year finds you in good health and ready to continue with the project.  Have you added more space heaters to the array?

ontfarmer

« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2016, 09:06:28 AM »
The space heaters are still the same two  750 watt  240 volt.   Have had a lot of snow and
overcast with no sun in December.  Maybe in January with the days getting longer it will be better.

ontfarmer

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2017, 04:56:47 AM »
Got home from the hospital.  Hope to get this working.

OperaHouse

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2017, 08:11:40 AM »
Welcome back. Thinking of posting to you this morning.  Don't know if you have read the electrodacus stuff.  Need to get you up and running before he does.  Like to compare your future results with his theoretical, both of you are in Canada.

ontfarmer

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2017, 06:43:57 AM »
Would like to get this working, don't know just where I have gone wrong. Have been very
thick and not able to get a grasp on this like other things through out life.  Open to any ideas
or suggestions.

OperaHouse

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »
I'm working on a new water heater program now.  Let me know what you have for loads now so I can configure it for one or more resistive loads.   Need wattage and volt rating.  What is the open circuit voltage you measure from your array.   I've found a supplier near my camp.  Looks like I will be adding another 1,000W of Canadian Solar this summer.

ontfarmer

« Reply #103 on: February 10, 2017, 06:58:23 AM »
Open circuit voltage in winter 170 's ,  have had a lot of overcast weather this winter starting to get some sunshine now,  next sunny day I will check the voltage and report it.
The load now is 1500 watt 240 volt baseboard heater on 6 panels.   
1000 watt 240 volt baseboard heater on the other six panels.

OperaHouse

« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2017, 08:29:41 AM »
That should be cooking a little.  I'm heading out of town and won't be able to do anything till Monday.  I'll edit up the new program for that voltage and email it to you.  This new program will track without external sensors.

ontfarmer

« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2017, 06:04:28 AM »
Had bit of a set back.  Thanks for the new software.  Hope to get at this in a few days.

ontfarmer

« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2017, 04:57:49 AM »
Need some help with the mosfets.  I used the diagram on page 1 reply#6 to wire the opto
and mosfets,  they carry the load and will not drop it. Disconnecting the wire to the gate
makes no difference.  The mosfets are  irpf250npbf  opto  4n26 . I am using  2 mosfets and
1 opto  there is power going to the gate. Maybe I need different ones or have not followed instructions ?

Mary B

« Reply #107 on: March 22, 2017, 05:11:14 PM »
Do you have voltage on the gate with it disconnected? If so you may have a bad FET.