Author Topic: Used to hang out here!  (Read 2945 times)

ben

Used to hang out here!
« on: August 15, 2016, 07:30:47 PM »
Hey Everyone!
My name is Ben & about a decade ago I used to hang out around here! Nice to see it's still around and thriving! I've referred people here more often than I can remember. I also can't remember my old login, or email address I used back then!

Hopefully I have time to check back on here more often.
Just wanted to say hi!

I have more than a few projects generally on the go at anyone time. Just finished building an outdoor wood boiler and refreshing a JCB backhoe!

I also was doing a little housecleaning and am wondering if anyone is interested in some odds and ends? Maybe I'll post that stuff in the classifieds in a couple days!

Ben

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Used to hang out here!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 12:21:24 AM »
Welcome back, Ben.
We have not all scattered to the 4 winds (not yet).
Any way to remind our failing memories of projects you may have posted about?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

ben

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
I just did a quick search on the forum here and nothing came up, So maybe I wasn't as active posting as I was reading! lol. Back then I had done a couple motor conversions (3-5hp). I had built a single magnet rotor Hugh Piggott on an old Buick axle. I was tinkering with brown gas generators. Then I had built a double rotor downwind Hugh Piggott style generator. 9' diameter on a 30' tilt down. Then I had moved and re-installed the 9' at the new place and she ran flawlessly for about 4 years until my free batteries died. Then I decided if I was going to buy new batteries I was going to go 48 volt and go off the grid.

Since then I was going to build a new shop, that was higher priority than going off grid. But now it looks like we are moving across the county! Hence the house (shop) cleaning!

We are hopefully moving the British Columbia to a small farm for a while until we build our dream home. Which will definitely be off grid! So I have to re-learn a bunch of the stuff I have forgotten!

Ben

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 06:20:07 PM »
Yes, my motor conversion may outlast the batteries, too.  Too bad yours isn't flying now, but good luck with your plans.   Always having an adventure and a challenge is the best way to live.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

fungus

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 06:40:48 PM »
Hah, my login still works too, anyone remember me?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 07:24:00 PM »
Yeah, was wandering just recently if you were alive and well!

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:31:54 PM »
Hey there!  I remember you too.
You were flying some Ametek motors with Piggott blades right?
Are they still going?
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:09:12 AM »
fungus!
Long time! How goes it?
Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard