Author Topic: Re: Brush Generator  (Read 2086 times)

Tricky

Re: Brush Generator
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:49:43 AM »
Hello Everyone
I'm new to the forum and was pleased to find this old thread because my grandson recently acquired a Brush machine that fits the cross field description, it has all three features i.e. Starting, Shunt field and battery charging capability.
240v AC single phase, 1.5Kw, 50 cycle, DC Volts 20v, DC 10 Amps.
The machine is in good general condition windings, commutator and slip rings all fine, I have sourced new brushes and am now looking for brush springs and it appears there are manufactures out there.
I'm confident this machine will work once the engine a single cylinder diesel Petter has completed it's restoration.
My major focus at this time is the external switchboard/control panel - at this time we have nothing to use as a guide but propose the following and would appreciated any feedback:
1. Personal safety is prime consideration 2. Protection of equipment 3. Display
To meet 1. Main Switch (double Pole?), Fuse, RCD finally period GPO. 2. Fuse battery charging circuit, use a suitable diode to replace original cutout, Starter button and solenoid in starting circuit.
3. For display perhaps 240AC voltmeter, battery charging amp meter.
Housed in a suitable enclosure mounted adjacent to terminal box on Brush generator.
Any comments or suggestions appreciated in advance. :)   

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Re: Brush Generator
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 02:43:41 PM »
Hi and welcome to Fieldlines!

Can you tell us what speed and voltage regulation you may have planned?  Will this be supplying power to 240 VAC loads or primarily for charging a battery bank?

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

hiker

• BIG DOG
Re: Brush Generator
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
What about a pict ? Sounds like a fun project....
WILD in ALASKA