Author Topic: F&P motor vs LG motor  (Read 2363 times)

Harold in CR

F&P motor vs LG motor
« on: September 06, 2016, 07:27:45 PM »

Anyone messing around with an LG washing machine motor ?  Looks to be about the same motor with small differences. They have 36 coils and 12 magnets and should be able to manipulate the windings and should mount up very similar to an F&P motor ?

Thinking about getting one and playing with it. Problem is, too many projects already.  ::)

Harold in CR

Re: F&P motor vs LG motor
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 11:11:40 AM »

Is it possible no one knew the LG motors exist ???

joestue

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 02:34:55 PM »
each of the magnets has 2 poles.

if you replace the magnets with 30 poles you should be able to get either 20% less losses at the same torque, or about 10 percent more torque out of the motor.

so yes its a 3 phase motor, 36 wires. you can wire it for at least 6 different voltages, perhaps a dozen, but that's a lot of soldering.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Harold in CR

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »
 I did some searching, found the backyardshed forum and read about the F&P conversions and then, crossed that info on cutting the windings to get different voltages and amperages.

I am kind of familiar with what you posted, joestue.

Thank you for confirming what I had thought about the LG motors. There is a dealer within 2 miles of my Sons house, so he will be checking about a used motor. For free, I will do some experimenting.