Author Topic: Morningstar SS-MPPT-15L firmware upgrade / changelog  (Read 3172 times)

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Morningstar SS-MPPT-15L firmware upgrade / changelog
« on: September 18, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
Hi Y'all,

I'm being thick.

I have a SS-MPPT-15L on firmware v01.01.05 (I think the latest is ~v01.01.11).

I cannot for the life of me find the firmware changelog to see if there is any advantage to upgrading the firmware, vs the small risk of breaking things.  (I don't want/need the lighting features of v01.01.09 onwards.)

Can anyone hand me the clue-stick please?

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

zracer

Re: Morningstar SS-MPPT-15L firmware upgrade / changelog
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 12:07:51 AM »
Call and ask?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:15:46 AM »
I'm in the UK so don't fancy an expensive call to HQ.

I have sent them an email, but am just astounded that I can't find the info online and save us all the trouble.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:56:55 PM »
I had a response:

...  We always recommend that your Morningstar product be up to date on firmware but it is certainly not required.  The main feature added in the latest firmware was lighting control.  I believe the only other features/improvements may be slight in voltage accuracy and some meter displays if you have the RM-1.  If your controller is working just fine and you have no issue than you can choose not to update the firmware.  If you were to use this controller in a lighting application you will certainly need a firmware update.

I have still asked for a changelog: we'll see!

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

zracer

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 10:28:13 PM »
As a software engineer, a firmware change log can immensely interesting to geek out on/analyze. I think the support guy admitting to mistakes (changes) to voltage accuracy is impressive. He is saying that all firmware out there for the given product is inaccurate w/out that update. He didn't quantify the inaccuracy because slight is relative. I'd be surprised if they supply an accurate change log to the public.

As you mentioned, there is risk of breakage. On one hand "if it works, don't fix it", but you could get more accurate voltage readings with the update. You could ask if the FW is downgradeable in case you have a problem.

adobejoe

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:56:53 PM »
This companies products are manufactured in Taiwan.  That word alone could explain some of the issues.....

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 02:56:14 AM »
I don't have a problem with the device: it is very good.

I think you get what you pay for and when people criticise stuff from Asia it's cheap stuff that is the problem.  My company has done a little manufacturing there, and I have spoken to the people that organise manufacturing for some big brands here.  There is no inherent problem in the location.  There is a problem in being cheap and not keeping a good eye on QA.

FWIW I had a further exchange with tech support:
All accuracy improvements were quite minor.  If you are worried about anything in controller not being accurate than I would recommend updating the firmware.  As I stated, these were only slight improvements and you may not notice any change.

Rgds

Damon

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 08:47:48 AM »
DamonHD;
When I read their first response, I took the "minor changes in voltage accuracy " as a "tweaking" of the code.
I see this being done a lot lately. As coders become more and more adept at getting more accuracy out of analog to digital conversions and such.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard