Author Topic: Newbie from South Central Oregon  (Read 4327 times)

gimpy

Newbie from South Central Oregon
« on: October 01, 2016, 06:44:16 PM »
Just found this forum. Am in the process of creating our homestead in the high desert of Southern Oregon. There is almost always a constant breeze or more. How much, will have to be monitored in place to know.

I came here to find out how much I don't know, before I start a system.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Newbie from South Central Oregon
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:55:06 AM »
Welcome to the forum.
Before you start, there are some very important information y'all need to gather.
The ole adage "constant breeze" can be misleading. To Humans a constant breeze can nice, to windmills, the breeze can be too slow for energy harvesting.
Buy, build , or borrow a anemometer. Find out what the speeds are of the breeze. For argument sake , we'll say  7mph (3m/s) is best to start with. You should also find what some of the higher wind speeds are. This way you can plan on them.
Next you'll need to know the amount of energy you'll need to use on a daily basis.
There are people close to you Texas & New Mexico that can help too.

Cheers
Bruce S
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 11:44:57 PM »
Bruce:  Oregon, not Oklahoma.

gimpy:  Welcome to Fieldlines!
There are maps on the internet to help you estimate what to expect, such as this: 
http://apps2.eere.energy.gov/wind/windexchange/wind_resource_maps.asp?stateab=or

If you put up an anemometer and record for a year, will you know what your local wind resource really is.

There's a "Diaries" section which has many systems built by other forum members for you to look at.
Plenty to learn.  Plenty of teachers here.  Usually we get along fine.
But never correct Bruce S, even when he says something wrong.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 02:20:12 AM »
Bruce S is incapable of error, though could I suppose be "differently right".  B^>

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 08:49:51 AM »
MY BAD!! :o
See what happens when I go to sub-level caffeine . :P

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 10:27:49 PM »
Bruce is also unfailingly honest.

(Consider how easy it would have been for him to put on his magic GM hat and edit his previous posts to make ME look like the fool.)
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2016, 09:01:00 AM »
Bruce is also unfailingly honest.

(Consider how easy it would have been for him to put on his magic GM hat and edit his previous posts to make ME look like the fool.)
SparWeb;
Care to share whatever you and DamonHD  inhaling  8).
My old boss labeled me as brutally honest. I could get myself into trouble just by answering a question.
FD loves people to be up front about "stuff" I say it's broken , then it's broken. No why , no how come, just OK got anything we an use. AHHH what a refreshing work place this is!! Never mind the benefits of being able to use the 5 story tall training tower to get back into repelling!

BTW: What happened to the OP?  gimpy apologies if we strayed to far off your questions.

amyreid4

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 06:03:56 AM »
Welcome! I'm also a newbie tough topics they got here but ready to learn these stuff.
The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 10:18:41 PM »
Hi Amy,
Welcome to the forum.
Look around, ask questions, the inmates are friendly.
www.sparweb.ca

CraigM

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 11:46:48 PM »
Another good site to view wind data is www.windfinder.com. Airports, military bases and others will show current and historical wind data for that area. You can also request wind reports. Attached screen shot shows a number of locations between Redmond and Madras.
Brain engaged in Absorption Charge Mode... please wait, this may take awhile.