Author Topic: 6 pole motor vs 4 pole for conversion  (Read 5763 times)

bigrockcandymountain

Re: 6 pole motor vs 4 pole for conversion
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2017, 07:41:31 PM »
The bearing discussion is interesting.  I used open bearings since this motor is set up for greasing the bearings.  It has a grease fitting and a drain plug on each bearing.  I plan to flush out the grease every year and replace with new grease.  If it doesn't work or moisture proves a problem, I'll use sealed bearings next time. 

Here is a picture of the blade.  I never did get a picture of the magnet rotor when it was done.  It looks pretty cool with all those magnets.  I get kind of excited and in a rush sometimes.

The blades are about 3 degrees at the tips so I think I'll try them they way they are.  They are pretty rough but should make some power.  I'm thinking cedar shingles would work for wedges to adjust them if need be.

The second pic is the house so far.  It's been a long process, but we're getting close to moving in.  Obviously it won't be done when we move.   

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2017, 02:10:53 AM »
could also find the space to put a pound of silica gel in the motor to absorb moisture.

That is certainly a good idea. Although the housing of an asynchronous motor is very well closed, some water is still created, probably because of condensation and not of leakage. One of my generators had a strong inside oxidation of the cast iron housing at the lowest point after about twelve years. May be one should drill a little hole there so that the water can escape and so that no under pressure is created when the housing cools down at night. The undere pressure might suck air with water vapour from outside along the seals and so water comes within even if the housing is completely closed.

joestue

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2017, 10:20:14 PM »
need a diaphram to keep the air pressure equalized. negative pressure will suck in moisture and air eventually.

bigrockcandymountain

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2017, 06:26:27 AM »
This motor actually has a 1/8" npt plug at the bottom.  It says on the side that when operating in very wet conditions you should remove it for a drain.  I was thinking maybe put short pipe nipple on it.  Should it be open or closed do you guys think?  I also thought I could just check it when I grease and close it up again.