Author Topic: 12Vdc solar security system w multiple devices & some lower voltage LED's  (Read 1716 times)

RVinFLA

I have been through so many of the boards here (searched and read through) looking for some similarity to my situation.  My property is vacant months at a time.  There is no power to a distant part of it.  I want to set up some type of Solar security system that entails 2) 12v field cams (use 8-1.5VBatteries, a 12Vdc CCTV security cam (that I want to add a TX to go wireless),   2) 36 light LED Security Lights (will need to modify) they are 3.2Vdc ea.  I have a 100W Solar panel and a 10amp charge controller and a 18AH battery ( I am in FL so hoping this will be enough)  None of the items hooked up to it is a major drain.

My question is really about the 2) LED Security Lights as they are such low voltage
and have their own Battery capacity  600 mAh ea light , ( I want to direct line in)
Battery type   Li-ion
Battery voltage (volts)   3
DC Volts   3.2

Thought of using these items to regulate Current/Voltage and add a Dusk-to Dawn Feature
DC-DC LM2596 Step-down Adjustable Power Supply Module CC-CV LED Driver
and
HIGHROCK Ac Dc 12v 10a Auto on Off Photocell Light Switch Photoswitch Light Sensor Switch
(The lights have only ON or OFF switch  Hence the dusk to dawn feature)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOP-DC-DC-LM2596-Step-down-Adjustable-Power-Supply-Module-CC-CV-LED-Driver/331799544966

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-DC-12V-10A-Auto-On-Off-Photocell-Street-Light-Photoswitch-Sensor-Switch-LO-/161933753479

You guys are aces at this stuff and I'm a city girl headed for my country living soon enough.  Trying to get a grasp on some of the challenges before I get there!

Any thoughts/ideas on how best to tie these into the 12Vdc line??
Or anything else I should be concerned about??

(I'm more mechanically inclined than electrically But I do try no matter how challenging!)
Thanks for any help you can give!

PS: I'm not ready to build my own pcbs just yet LOL!
Necessity is the mother of all inventions! (Unless you just made a mistake and got lucky!)

OperaHouse

I use the 2596 for LED applications. Connecting it to a Li battery and still using the devices own solar panel is an issue.  Li batteries need specific charging routines like those found in a TP4056 board ($.40).  However, if the 2596 was set to a voltage less than the batteries full charge voltage (say 3.4V instead of 4.2V) the 12V system could serve as a backup.  Is the night sensor for an additional LED?  If buying bare LED, buy a 10W flood light (some have just a resistor inside and power it at reduced voltage with a 2596 maybe at 2W.  It will be a lot more efficient.

RVinFLA

I thought it best to bypass the Li battery all together and use the 2596 to regulate the voltage and  current coming from the 12Vdc battery that the panel is charging.
(There are 2 -  36 LED Lights @ 3.2 volts EACH.    I want to direct wire both from one 2596)

I thought to add the photo switch sensor ahead of that because the Lights are either ON or OFF , and since I'm not there, the sensor will only allow power to the lights "Dusk to Dawn". 

Am I wrong in my thinking??

Should I worry about what I set the current or voltage from the 2596 since it will regulate both LED devices? (not the Photo sensor)
Necessity is the mother of all inventions! (Unless you just made a mistake and got lucky!)

OperaHouse

If you are going to tear things up, I would put the two lamp assemblies in series. This will gain some efficiency in the inverter and prevent problems in load sharing between the lamps. Stay well under 1A with those little inverters regardless of what they say. Just figuring .015ma for each LED X 32 gives about a half amp of current.  I would put a 2 ohm resistor in series with the output of the 2596.  That current limit isn't that good at low levels and a LED is just a diode and they vary in voltage with the temperature.  If you need  additional lamps, check out those 10W floods on ebay with the die cast case.