Author Topic: Hugh Piggott ‘Jumping tails’!  (Read 6803 times)

Bruce S

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
Re: Hugh Piggott ‘Jumping tails’!
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 02:02:42 PM »
AND people make fun of my little coffee can sized VAWT  :o , so what if it only puts out 3 ~ 5 V in a gale.
ALL of my out-doors equipment either has a weep hole of water drip bend in the cables.

I'm going to go stand by DamonHD now.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

SparWeb

• SuperHero Member
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2017, 01:11:16 PM »
Adriaan Kragten: In one year the wind direction makes only about three full rotations.

That's not true.  I have plotted the wind direction over time at my location for a year, and found that the wind makes more than 30 complete revolutions (clockwise) and fewer than 5 in the other direction in any given year.

While ClockmanFRA and I live very far apart, I do not doubt that his winds could do the same.  His wind turbines, like mine, are always turning to face the oncoming wind direction, due to the tail vane they both use.  There should be no difference between the number of times the wind direction goes "around the clock" and when the WT does. 

Finally, I have to unwind my tower cable, too.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it.  Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.

System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, regulated by Xantrex C40, DIY 8ft diameter wind turbine, regulated by Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024

joestue

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2017, 12:47:49 AM »
seems to me if you rig up a spring to mildly resist the rotation, it should remain within a few turns of normal. if the cable can handle a few dozen turns, then the cable should never be stressed.

it would be interesting to investigate the wind's rotational preferances, purely for statistical interests.

frackers

• Is it finished yet?
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2017, 04:00:22 AM »
Low pressure systems are the prevalent weather here, they come out of the Southern Ocean from the Roaring Forties and mostly pass to the south of us so we get wind building from the north-east, turning stronger north-westerly, then south-west and finally easing such that the easterly portion is hardly noticed. It means that on average I would expect 30-40 turns per year on my cable.

During the summer they are supposed to stay far enough south to not be a problem but not this year!! We missed the storm force winds on Wednesday but severe gale forecast for tonight and tomorrow again!!
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

clockmanFRA

• Echorenovate
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2017, 12:17:08 PM »
No1, right hand side in Pic, has its tail back on, and No2 has had its yearly service etc, and both are back up and churning out those kW's.

I have not seen the sunshine for nearly a week, so my batteries are now being gently charged up by the wind turbines.

Will do No3 next week.  I have now a new tail panel vane, 3/8ths thick marine plywood, and its all painted and back on its tail frame.

Everything is possible, just give me time.

clockmanFRA

• Echorenovate
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2017, 02:10:50 AM »
No3, new tail fin.

Busted one is in the background.

Adriaan Kragten

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 02:51:49 AM »
How many times the winddirection will make full turns per year may depend very much on the site as it will be influenced by turbulence created by local obstacles in the prevailing wind direction. The three full turns per year are measured in The Netherlands for open terrain and at enough height. It may be the result of 20 right hand turns and 17 left hand turns or opposite. If you live in an area with many full turns per year in one direction, this effect may neutralise or just strengthen the propellor effect which I have observed for my VIRYA-windmills (which have a rather large eccentricity in between 8% and 10% of the rotor diameter).

electronbaby

• Administrator
    • Windsine.org
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 08:11:51 PM »
To keep tails from working themselves up and off of the tail pivots, It works real good to add a piece of threaded rod or a bolt thats welded to the inside of the top -of the tail pivot. Then the concentric tail pivot receiver is drilled to accommodate. A washer and nyloc nut is then added. It acts as a tail retainer bolt, without sacrificing any of its normal intended movement. See below picture. sorry I dont have a close up, but it should be visible whats going on here.

RoyR
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

kitestrings

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 08:18:00 AM »
That's a sweet looking turbine there.  The only thing I don't like about this method though, is that it introduces a place for water to enter and potentially corrode thing hinge pin.  Mine was a larger bolt (the hinge pin and retainer in my case), but I found that snow would sit there, because it could, and when it melted allowed a bit of moisture/water to enter.  We made other changes, but on ours, I added a bushing on top with a weather cover.  A roll-pin through the bushing secures the hinge-pin.

clockmanFRA

• Echorenovate
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 01:39:57 PM »
As 'Kitestrings' says, its unbelievable where water will find its way in. I am now trying to work out the best way to allow water out of the Cedar blades on No 1.
 No 2 & No 3 have fiberglass blades, foam filled, and each blade has a drain hole at each tip. Yes they stay balanced now, but that rain water! is a pain..........

Even after nearly ten years of flying these, I am still learning.

Another must check each maintenance time, is the cast vinylester resin stator mounting bolts. Now they should not be to tight as they will crack the resin, but as I found with number 3 wind turbine, its a must to re-adjust for equal clearance from the rotating magnet discs each side.

No 3 with its new tail, and the new modification for holding the tail on its mounting spigot all done.

All up and running nicely. 

A big thanks to James,  :) (He's done a Hugh Piggott build course at V3, Nottingham, UK), for coming over for a couple of weeks, big friends with the doug, and helping with the Wind Turbines and other fun things around the place.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 01:53:19 PM by clockmanFRA »

kitestrings

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 08:12:16 AM »
Pretty quick turn around on the repairs I'd say.  Well done!