Author Topic: Hugh Piggott ‘Jumping tails'!  (Read 12207 times)

Adriaan Kragten

Re: Hugh Piggott ‘Jumping tails'!
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2017, 04:51:49 AM »
How many times the winddirection will make full turns per year may depend very much on the site as it will be influenced by turbulence created by local obstacles in the prevailing wind direction. The three full turns per year are measured in The Netherlands for open terrain and at enough height. It may be the result of 20 right hand turns and 17 left hand turns or opposite. If you live in an area with many full turns per year in one direction, this effect may neutralise or just strengthen the propellor effect which I have observed for my VIRYA-windmills (which have a rather large eccentricity in between 8% and 10% of the rotor diameter).

electronbaby

• Windsine.org
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »
To keep tails from working themselves up and off of the tail pivots, It works real good to add a piece of threaded rod or a bolt thats welded to the inside of the top -of the tail pivot. Then the concentric tail pivot receiver is drilled to accommodate. A washer and nyloc nut is then added. It acts as a tail retainer bolt, without sacrificing any of its normal intended movement. See below picture. sorry I dont have a close up, but it should be visible whats going on here.

RoyR
Have Fun!!!  RoyR KB2UHF

kitestrings

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 10:18:00 AM »
That's a sweet looking turbine there.  The only thing I don't like about this method though, is that it introduces a place for water to enter and potentially corrode thing hinge pin.  Mine was a larger bolt (the hinge pin and retainer in my case), but I found that snow would sit there, because it could, and when it melted allowed a bit of moisture/water to enter.  We made other changes, but on ours, I added a bushing on top with a weather cover.  A roll-pin through the bushing secures the hinge-pin.

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2017, 03:39:57 PM »
As 'Kitestrings' says, its unbelievable where water will find its way in. I am now trying to work out the best way to allow water out of the Cedar blades on No 1.
 No 2 & No 3 have fiberglass blades, foam filled, and each blade has a drain hole at each tip. Yes they stay balanced now, but that rain water! is a pain..........

Even after nearly ten years of flying these, I am still learning.

Another must check each maintenance time, is the cast vinylester resin stator mounting bolts. Now they should not be to tight as they will crack the resin, but as I found with number 3 wind turbine, its a must to re-adjust for equal clearance from the rotating magnet discs each side.

No 3 with its new tail, and the new modification for holding the tail on its mounting spigot all done.

All up and running nicely. 

A big thanks to James,  :) (He's done a Hugh Piggott build course at V3, Nottingham, UK), for coming over for a couple of weeks, big friends with the doug, and helping with the Wind Turbines and other fun things around the place.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 03:53:19 PM by clockmanFRA »
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

kitestrings

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 10:12:16 AM »
Pretty quick turn around on the repairs I'd say.  Well done!