Author Topic: 2015 Nissan Leaf battery modules  (Read 9605 times)

george65

Re: 2015 Nissan Leaf battery modules
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2017, 08:35:49 PM »

It's actually 18 Stations which is a reasonable thing.
Clearly aimed at tourists however all being along the seaboard.  Queensland is a bit like Texas, it's bloody big. Putting all the stations along one road essentially is a start I suppose but it does not address how people are going to get there in the first place being a state Govt. Initiative.

A thought occoured reading the posts here and I see it was mentioned in an article...... Do all cars use the same Charging port?
Clearly, the answer is no. Not in fast mode at least.  I think the manufacturers should nip that one in the Bud straight off before we go back to a VHS/beta scenario and people have to go to the right station or face flat battery's.

Which is another thing..... Won't be any road service crews bringing a jerry can of petrol to get you going again, they will either have to have a fossil fueled generator to give you a few KM range ( OR much more) to get to a recharge station or it will be a tow job.
I think standardising charging ports would be an almost imperative thing to do at this point but then you are going to probably have variations in technology given the infancy of the whole  EV thing.

I could not find any info on how many recharging spaces will be at each station. One would hope they are proportional to need.  The Gold coast is Australias Holiday playground and it's busy ally year round. At Christmas it's completely nuts so around The gold coast area itself, a strip of about 30 KM, is going to need when EV's amount to something, literally thousands of stations to cater for the several hundred thousand tourists alone that resident there and growing population.  I wanted to buy there myself instead of where I did buy last week but unfortunately the Wife and daughter would not go.  Beautiful place, could have lived in an offensive size mansion for what I paid in semi rural Sydney. Probably my last chance at hat dream but anyway.

The articles state there are 700 Ev's in Qld, half of which are Hybrids which doesn't make them EV's at all to me.  I guess for a while the 18 stations will be adequate  but will have to be increased as the EV takeup as the govt wants progresses...... Which brings me to another thought......
Road infrastructure here is always lagging behind and our roads are mostly atrocious.  If they can't maintain the roads now, where is the funding going to come from to keep pace with the stations?
It's not just putting them in, it's buying the land for them.  Who is going to pay for that?

Right now all these stations are free. If private enterprise gets into them with oil companies being the prime candidates given they already have locations, What is the cost going to be? Power prices have just taken a hike here again and you can bet the oil companies see an opportunity and will, like fuel now, charge to kill. Pun intended.

I have always said that oil will never be replaced until there is more profit for the oil companies and Govts in something else due to the massive investment in infrastructure already in place and that which would be required to replace oil. Given what it's going to take to set up these EV stations and the companies having to look after their investors and share holders, I see no reason why Charging stations will not cost more proportionaly that Petroleum.  They have the legitimate investment to recoup but they also have something much more important, the do the right thing/ save the planet/ guilt trip factor.

We already have the "Buy green power at twice the price" crap thrown at us with our home electricity, imagine what the fuel companies can do with that.
All the pictures of rolling green hills and bright skies with the tali pipe less car cruising along the idealic road..... With the cooling towers of the Coal or nuke power station just to the left out of shot and make sure you don't get any of the trucks carrying the waste in frame either.

Question for the green motivated....... With mention of the UK above, I looked up their generation methods. Gas was the top one and there was a figure for Co2 emissions.  Then I looked at the nuke and there was another figure for co2 as was there for Wind turbines and solar.
Can someone please tell me how the f duck you get co2 emissions from solar, wind turbines... or nuke?
I'm already smelling some spin doctoring guilt tripping here but I await to hear how this is calculated and how solar supposedly has Co2 emissions?

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: 2015 Nissan Leaf battery modules
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 05:23:43 AM »
I have been running this live grid intensity calculator for a while:

http://www.earth.org.uk/_gridCarbonIntensityGB.html

I treat nukes and wind as zero carbon.  This calculator does not see all of the wind or basically any of the solar on the GB grid because they are embedded in medium or low voltage networks and not metered by National Grid (Elexon), but generally the numbers are still reasonable.

There are legitimate reasons to regard solar, wind and nukes as NOT quite zero carbon, because there are (carbon) costs in putting them together and taking them apart at end of life (and extracting, handling, and disposing of fuel for nukes) that should be amortised over the amount of energy generated over the life of the equipment.

My favourite, solar PV, has one of the higher 'low carbon' intensities by that measure, and onshore wind one of the lowest.  But still mush lower than even gas CCGT.

One can argue about balancing costs of renewables, ie other generation that has to be kept warm to cover gaps in renewable generation, but that is already done to cover failures in other fossil generators, so it is a little harder to agree on the numbers for that.  But even with those, renewables seem no in many parts of the work to be a definitely win on all-in costs as well CO2.

Rgds

Damon

Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social