Author Topic: Anybody familiar with Outback inverter repairs? VFX3524 P/N cross reference?  (Read 4377 times)

Dixie

Howdy folks. Been a *long* while since I've been here. Great to see activity still on this board!

Some years back--late summer,2012--Our Outback 3524 inverter died, suspected lightning strike. It was a busy time, and I'd procured an old Trace U-series for a back-up, which has been working reliably since.

Lately though, I've been doing some re-wiring, and uncovered the old Outback and took it apart..

I found, what I believe to be, the AC transfer relay to have been toasted. So, I'm willing to gamble that I can replace that part and have good, clean power again.

Toasted part# is: Deltrol 23686-70

It seems NLA, but I've come up with a couple possible alternatives, as follows:
Deltrol 21043-81
Deltrol 21009-82

The specs all look the same.. just wondering if anyone is familiar enough with these inverters and the parts within to confirm whether the replacement relays are, or are not interchangeable..

Pic of toasted guy attached, if it works

Thanks!

joestue

if the pin out isn't identical you could just mount it off the board, or even get a totally different relay, with quick connect or solder terminals.
My wife says I'm not just a different colored rubik's cube, i am a rubik's knot in a cage.

Eraser3000

Hi Dixie,
welcome back,

I own a lot of those VFX3524's and I can't say enough good things about them.

On your relays, the 21043-81 looks like a good match, I've never had to change one out, hopefully there is nothing else wrong with the unit.

Have you found anywhere that has one yet?

Eraser

OperaHouse

What damage do you see on it.  Looks like you could pop the cover and clean the contacts.

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member

Dixie

Thanks, all, for your replies!

Thanks to Mary, I see they are available at that link. Other aliexpress links for the same part show zero availability, so.. I'm a tad skeptical, but I'll probably give it a shot.

As for P/N 21043-81, yes.. I can get that one for about $10 for less than the exact P/N.. hmm...

Damage is visible... as in, black and burned under the cover. And even after 5 years, it still smells of escaped smoke. No burn damage visible on the board or any other components, so indeed... I hope it's isolated.

The error code sequence video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jGPYv_byXk) that I sent to Outback when it happened was unfamiliar to the tech guy that looked at it. He wanted me to send the whole thing back, again... (fairness to Outback, their service has always been top notch and more than fair.. and continues to be). But, I was a week out from a long trip when I died, so I just hooked up the old U-series Trace and never got back around to the Outback. Until now.

In any event, if I could get it fixed for <$50, it'd be great. More efficient, much better charger, and much cleaner current..  A pretty good $50 gamble in my opinion..

Dixie

One thing to add... it was this thread where I found that somebody had found a that 21043 relay in their inverter, which is about 600 units newer than mine..

http://outbackpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1958

Recent talks with Outback though, they claim to still use 23686

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
Hey Dixie been a long time but glad to see you posting. If you get a chance say hi to Danb for me. I lost his phone # :D

Dixie

Thanks, and will do!

Dixie

Well drat.... in the end, I got in touch with the kind folks at Outback, and they sent a whole new AC board. I got it installed and the inverter installed again yesterday..

No joy. Same error codes as when it stopped working 5 years ago. No biggie, as I know that relay was fried, so not bummed about the expenditure. But am bummed that it didn't fix it.

Anybody recognize these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jGPYv_byXk

Mary B

• Administrator
  • SuperHero Member
If it took that hard of a hit I wouldn't be surprised if it blew the FETS and control board.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Seems I'm too late.
I just happened to have the exact same Deltrol relay in my odd-and-ends box - but you've already replaced the whole board.
Sorry, don't know Outbacks well enough to diagnose error lights.  Surely there's a user's manual out there?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca