Author Topic: Solarflower.org - vawt  (Read 1299 times)

johnnym

Solarflower.org - vawt
« on: May 21, 2017, 02:40:54 PM »
Hey guys, I wonder what you all think of this? This is a diy vawt for the layman like me. I find it very interesting but wonder if it is sustainable. What I find attractive about this vawt is that someone like me who lacks engineering and electrical skills can build it. It is very simple if you know how to drill a hole and measure something. This may have already been discussed on this forum but I haven't found anything with all the info here. It is similar to the lenz2 turbine.

This is the link:

http://www.solarflower.org/tutorial.php?lang=en&tut=vawt#.WSHaW2grLDc

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Solarflower.org - vawt
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »
...It is similar to the lenz2 turbine...

It is almost an exact copy of the Lenz2 turbine.
It's a great introduction to DIY wind machines, and can be coupled to a generator to make useful amounts of electricity.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

electrondady1

• SuperHero Member
Re: Solarflower.org - vawt
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »
the only difficulty i see is in creating structural members from folded aluminum sheets .
you can do it, but you would need to be a sheet metal man and be skilled with a bending brake.
better to spring for a few pieces of aluminum  extrusion  or angle iron.

as well, rather than aluminum sheet, the teardrop shaped end pieces could be made of wood or plastic. something you can get a screw into rather than all those folded over tabs.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 08:08:55 AM by electrondady1 »