Author Topic: Little steps  (Read 1576 times)

kitestrings

Little steps
« on: May 25, 2017, 04:16:56 PM »
Some of you may recall that I fashioned these steps to get to our mill:

Well, they've worked pretty well, but many times I'm heading up for a look/see, or to grease things and without toting a rope I pack everything (steps, tools, lubes, etc.).  These weighed in at nearly 30#, and once you get up there they are a bit top-heavy and awkward to hold until secured since your only waste high at the bottom of them.

I decided to spring for some aluminum bolts, and wow, big difference.  I think they're just over 20# (23# IIRC) now.  I've attached the brackets to the channels, so now I only have to move the four smaller bolts once in place.  In seems like a small win, but I'll take it.

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: Little steps
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 11:47:29 PM »
You still have a stronger stomach for heights than I do.
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

kitestrings

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 12:07:57 PM »
I'd contemplated the change for a while.  The bolts were about $15 each; not cheap.  They are really made for a low to medium strength racing application.  They are 7075 billet AL.  When I put them in the context of safety though - like say spending good money for a climbing harness - I think it was well worth it.

On the flip side the cast AL brackets were free to me.

These are used on large sheaves for pulling wire.  Light weight, but very strong.  I'd meant to say waist high earlier.

~ks

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 08:30:06 PM »
The view from up top is a beauty!!
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard