Author Topic: How to maintain solar PV systems?  (Read 2065 times)

Insolergy

• Insolergy | Indian Solar Energy Company | End-to-End Solar EPC Solution Providers
How to maintain solar PV systems?
« on: July 24, 2017, 08:36:47 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Do you have solar PV system? To get the most out of your solar power investment, it is recommended to periodically clean solar PV modules so that they are free of any dust particles. Below mentioned are some easy tips on how to maintain PV system:-

1) Wiping your glass windows to make it clean. You may use a soft cloth, brush, wiper or a sponge squeegee on a long pole.

2) Galvanized iron mounting structures to prevent any rusting or corrosion.

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
Re: How to maintain solar PV systems?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 09:57:34 AM »
1) A recent masters' thesis here demonstrated that cleaning PV usually gains little in the UK, given our rainfall.

2) Please don't just broadcast general tips; this is a board that thrives on conversation.  Talking at people will probably annoy them.

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

clockmanFRA

• Renewable Energy creation
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 03:55:46 PM »
Why ?
Everything is possible, just give me time.

OzInverter man. Normandy France.
http://www.bryanhorology.com/renewable-energy-creation.php

3 Hugh P's 3.7m Wind T's (12 years) .. 5kW PV on 3 Trackers, (8 yrs) .. 9kW PV AC coupled to OzInverter MINI Grid, back charging AC Coupling to 48v 1300ah battery

DamonHD

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Earth Notes
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »
Yes, on some of my perfectly vertical panels too...

Rgds

Damon
Podcast: https://www.earth.org.uk/SECTION_podcast.html

@DamonHD@mastodon.social

OperaHouse

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 10:09:44 AM »
It is worthwhile seeing if the panels even work.  I've had two panels totally fail.  When these are mixed in with others it can be hard to tell since most systems are oversized. A few years back I went out and put a load test on each of the odd lot ebay panels. I remember a number of them had a power point of just barely 15V. Too disappointed to save the results. These only provide supplemental power on the worst days.  The main 36V string has a test program that runs the water heaters as load and gives me the power point and voltage. Been meaning for years to make a nice portable tester.  Being on the water I have my share of connector problems.

george65

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 08:47:49 PM »

Been trying to figure out if the reason I m only getting a few hundred watts out of my 1.8 Kw String is because half the panels are shaded or some have failed.
Will be pulling them down in a couple of weeks anyway to move to the new house so I'll test them when I do that and see.

The idea of a tester is good. All one would need to do is put a couple of the appropriate plugs on a meter and connect them up. Could be very handy when buying used panels.

tanner0441

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 11:30:36 AM »
Hi

I bought a several "New" 12 V 15 W Panels every one read 18 to 20 V. fitted diodes and connected them.... the ammeter didn't come anywhere near what I expected. So put a load on the batteries for a bit to drag them down and tried again..... Still lower than expected.

Split them, and they all tested OK, connected them together still a good reading connected the charge controller and the voltage drooped. I grabbed a 12 V 10 W bulb put tails on it and fiddled them down the side of the meter leads. First panel the bulb lit and the meter read about 15 V. Second panel the bulb lit and an acceptable reading third panel the same. Fourth fifth and sixth panel a glimmer from the bulb and 7 to 9V on the meter. The last panel read OK.

Just because there is a good open circuit reading doesn't mean it is a good panel. I always test panels now with a load on the meter.  The same applies to long cable runs, working on boats I have had many runs of wire which the conductor is just a mess of green copper salts inside the insulation.

Brian.

richhagen

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »
I just check the amperage and voltage of each series string at the combiner box, have a look see at the connections and the cables to make sure there is no corrosion or cracks in the insulation maybe once or twice a year.  I do tend to rinse off the flat panels every great once in a while.  That's about it.  Rich
A Joule saved is a Joule made!