Author Topic: Axial DC motor project  (Read 2171 times)

Amish_Fighter_Pilot

Re: Axial DC motor project
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 03:57:23 PM »
like a water pump centrifugal impeller? The problem is the electrons have no inertia. the mechanical analogy doesn't hold at less than relativistic speeds.

anyhow if you want to store energy in compressed air, it would be best to directly convert that compressed air back to useable shaft hp at the task you need it to perform.

air driven water pumps, even kitchen appliances have been used in the past.

Actually electrons do have inertia. They just effectively do not have it in a circuit. Its the "ping pong balls in a tube" analogy; only the tube is in a circle so when the force is removed the resistance of the circuit effectively halts it instantly.

The idea about using the air directly is a smart one. I am not sure I'll be storing power as compressed air. Right now I am just using an air powered motor to spin the homopolar experiment; or at least planning to. The main reason being that I'm already building a Tesla Turbine, and electricity is hard to get here, whereas I can fill air tanks at another location. I'm really not sure how to make a pneumatic on-demand water pressure pump or how I would use it in appliances. I guess it might be a way to power a fridge compressor system, but I'm not sure there's much already-made products out there for such a task. The tanks are at 4500psi, so they can bring some serious pressures to bear when needed.

joestue

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
come to think of it, forward curved fan blowers cause the air to exit the disk faster than the rotational speed.. again the mechanical analogy doesn't work.

its like musing that skewing the laminations on a standard dc motor would somehow increase the voltage, but it doesn't.

Amish_Fighter_Pilot

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
You're not understanding the analogy if you think I'm talking about exiting the disk. I'm talking about using the force generated outward to return to the center. Its the whole issue of back EMF. Its hard to use the force generated to overcome the force continuing to be generated.