Author Topic: My "new to me" old Jacobs 110 volt 3000 watt wind generator  (Read 788 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

jenkinswt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Country: us
My "new to me" old Jacobs 110 volt 3000 watt wind generator
« on: August 20, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
Just made a long road trip to pickup a Jacobs Wind Generator with the family. Still tired but excited! I have a few other projects to get done first but hope to start working on this soon.

We got it all unloaded tonight when we got home and spun it by hand and haven't seen anymore than 7 volts, is there a cut in speed where it starts producing a higher voltage? Anyone know a good place to find any parts or part numbers? I'm mainly looking for bearings, etc. I'm hoping it doesn't need a rewind, I probably couldn't afford that right now. The blades are pretty rough, I am planning either carving new ones or trying to fiberglass these but don't want to make them really heavy.

This has the newer blade furling setup with springs instead of the flyballs. I will appreciate any and all information anyone has on these, especially the 110 volt models. I was going to attach some pictures but took them with my camera and the file size is too big. I will take some different ones later and post them.

hiker

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1527
  • BIG DOG
Re: My "new to me" old Jacobs 110 volt 3000 watt wind generator
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 12:41:06 AM »
Wincharger.com May be of some help.....
WILD in ALASKA

jenkinswt

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 42
  • Country: us
Re: My "new to me" old Jacobs 110 volt 3000 watt wind generator
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:43:27 AM »
Right now I have carefully disassembled everything, dang is everything heavy! I have the armature out and don't see anything burnt but maybe a little insulation on the front of the wiring is degrading. There are 6 field coils and when I hook my multimeter to them on ohms it zeros out. Not sure if I am really testing them correctly. The insulation on the field coils does look pretty dark, not sure if that's the problem.

On the armature windings the wires appear to have a few different colors like green, etc. not sure if they used different colored wiring to help when winding or if there's a problem there? I found a large electric repair shop about 90 miles away that can test it all so I might go that route but I am afraid its going to be really expensive. If the field coils are the only problem I would be willing to try this but the armature probably needs a shop. Heres a few pictures, most of them I have taken are still too large to post.

hiker

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1527
  • BIG DOG
Re: My "new to me" old Jacobs 110 volt 3000 watt wind generator
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 05:27:35 PM »
seems to me it needs some external power ..to power up your field coils...try hitting the field cols with a few volts--6-12 ? looks all good otherwise...the currant you did see when spun by hand..was just some left over magnatizam in the field coils ;;that weakly powered up the rotor...ile bet it would work just fine -once powered up correctly...hit the field coils with a few volts...then spin by hand or hand drill.....
WILD in ALASKA

joestue

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 1403
Re: My "new to me" old Jacobs 110 volt 3000 watt wind generator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »
since its a dc machine, even if you have a few shorted turns in the field, and the field shorted to the case, you should still be able to get it electrically functional. those windings look good and i don't know if those machines were even capable of burning out the generator.


the field coils should be near zero ohms, and cheap multimeters are not good at detecting anything less than about 10 times the resistance the meter displays when you short the probes to themselves, which is usually .3  to .7 ohms. so they are only reliable to about 10 ohms.

if you like, i can explain to you how to make a milliohm meter accurate from 1 to .001 ohms with any cheap digital scale. they are about 3$ on ebay and you don't even need a soldering iron to make the modification, though it would be somewhat retarded to not solder the joints.....