Remote Living > Lighting

LED Lighting for 24 VDC Ststems

(1/6) > >>

armadillo:
On my last off grid home I had used some 24 VDC Edison base LED lights on circuits I used when I didn't want to run the inverter, which saved me 30 watts most of the time when needs were minimal. Currently building another off grid home and would like to incorporate the same logic.
The biggest disadvantage I've encountered (and I'm no expert here) is the cost and availability of 24 VDC lighting components. I found many suppliers claimed their bulbs were good for 12-24 VDC, but they were not capable of withstanding typical charging/equalizing voltages encountered in 24 VDC systems. I used some Edison type 24-30 VDC bulbs purchased from Independence Electric and had good life out of them but they are about twenty bucks a pop and really adds up when you need 20 of them to start.

Does anyone here know of a supplier of cost-effective 24 VDC LED lighting components?

tanner0441:
Hi

Look for Truck and Bus lamps. I needed some temporary lighting for outside  to run from a transformer. I bought several truck spotlight bulbs. 8W a piece.

Brian.

Mary B:
I built my own and used a buck converter that can handle up to 30 volts.

Led http://www.mpja.com/500-Lumen-7-Watt-Super-Bright-Warm-White-LED/productinfo/32077+OP/

Buck Puck driver http://www.ledsupply.com/led-drivers/buckpuck-dc-led-drivers

Then surplus CPU heatsinks with fans because they do produce a bunch of heat!

dnix71:
Have you tried 24v landscape lighting? It's 24v ac so the peak to peak is much higher. You might not get full brightness as the device probably have a full wave bridge and if you feed it dc you will only be using 1/2 of the input.

armadillo:
Thanks for the replies. I'm only an amateur electrician and completely incompetent when it comes to electronics. I'm afraid I'd be in over my head trying to work in AC lights or drivers. Over 99% of truck lights are 12 VDC.

12 VDC Edison LED lites are widely available. Is wiring two 12 volt bulbs in series off 24 volts a good practice?

Don't yachts use 24 VDC lighting? I can't find anything on boat lighting on the net.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version