Author Topic: Use a Nissan leaf electric motor for a >10kw wind generator  (Read 4265 times)

adrian

Use a Nissan leaf electric motor for a >10kw wind generator
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:52:53 AM »
I was wondering if a Nissan Leaf motor could be used as an alternator for a wind turbine >10 kw.
The motor itself weights about 130 lbs which is not much for 80KW of power

Motor specs: 10390 RPM @ ~400V 3 phase

With my first tests the motor gives
3.25V @ 60 RPM
6.5V @ 120 RPM
16.25V @ 300 RPM

Ideally i would need the voltage to be ~ 10 times higher for the same RPM

I found the document below that shows motor winding information

https://www.coilwindingexpo.com/berlin/__media/pages/Tutorial-1-D--Staton-&-J--Goss-MDL.PDF

1. Is it possible to connect its coils in any different way to get higher voltage? i think it has parallel coils according to the document, but i might be wrong.

2. If i would remove all existing coils and create new ones with thinner wire, what would be the best coil configuration?

kitestrings

Re: Use a Nissan leaf electric motor for a >10kw wind generator
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 09:12:34 AM »
Here's a Leaf power wind turbine ;>]
10847-0

Well ok... the story behind this is that we used the leaf to motor up our alternator in an effort to isolate a charge controller issue that we were having.  It seemed like a good variable speed dynamometer for getting to and holding a given rpm.  Not a very efficient conversion of power though...

Sorry I can't help with the suitability of this motor as a generator.  ~ks

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 02:47:30 PM »
I fear that you're taking an expensive assembly made for a very specific purpose, and then converting it to a completely different purpose.  Any number of details could render it a poor WT generator, and the $ and work invested could have been used on something with more promise of success.
If you don't already have one to take apart and examine, then what will you really know, and how can you test your assumptions are true?
No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca

frackers

• Picard spits "Hello"
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 08:24:42 PM »
Doesn't the Nissan have regenerative braking? If so, it should make a great generator!!
Robin Down Under (Or Are You Up Over)

adrian

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2017, 02:58:37 AM »
Yes, i believe it's a good option to consider because:
1. You can get it cheap, ~ $500. What options do we have at $500? 1-2 kw of some cheap generator?
2. Designed as both motor and generator for regenerative breaking.
3. If any part of the generator fails in time, there will be thousands of these motors/parts selling cheap
4. High power per lb, 80kw/130lbs
5. Can be water cooled, but i guess this will not be needed under 20kw

adrian

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2017, 03:14:37 AM »
I will be making some tests during the weekend, I'm planning to connect another motor to the Nissan leaf motor and measure real generated power under different loads.
If anyone has any suggestions for a good test, please shoot.

Bruce S

• Administrator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
  • USA
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2017, 08:43:10 AM »
After seeing the voltage outputs, the things that might help is what voltage are you actually working towards?

The gauge of the wire will also determine how much current you will be able to obtain.
A kind word often goes unsaid BUT never goes unheard

adrian

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2017, 04:20:43 PM »
After seeing the voltage outputs, the things that might help is what voltage are you actually working towards?

The gauge of the wire will also determine how much current you will be able to obtain.

I'm expecting a max RPM of 600, and max Max voltage of the controller i'll be using is 600V, so 600V @ 600RPM would be perfect