Author Topic: 10' has a 11 year anniversary and update  (Read 1256 times)

watermanhfl

10' has a 11 year anniversary and update
« on: October 22, 2017, 08:08:01 PM »
Hi all,
I have not posted in some time but just pulled down the turbine with rubbing sound and now back up.  It was the rear bearing, so 11 years on the original one.  Standard 10' otherpower design with the 2"x1" magnets.  So I have made a few mods over the years.  Tail is larger but lighter and more offset than original.  It furls at about 25 mph now vs the original 1,500 watt spike in the storms.  I burnt out the original stators after a year but this one going 10 years.  Easier on the turbine with 500 watt max spikes these days.  I see 100 to 200 watts most of the days so a good fork truck battery maintainer.  My solar is the one that normally spins the meter backwards.
   A few cracks and rubs showing and few spots of bare coil but stator still  runs good.  Magnets and rotors are a bit rusty but not horrible.  The wood blades lasted 7-8 years but one cracked from operator poor judgment.  Let the tower down a bit too far one time and blade hit ground, lost about a foot off one blade.  So I took easy? way out and purchased the 11' fiberglass blades off ebay.  I had to hole saw a big hole in the one hub and 4 small holes for the hub rods but works very well.  Turns fast in light winds.  So new rear bearing and added a seal this time.  Original design was without seal for less friction but looks like bearing failed from rust and not wear.  blades seem to turn fine with the seal in place. 
I hope this history helps one of you.  These days I mainly keep adding to my PV panels and do very little with the turbine except a once per year lube and inspection.
From western NY watermanhfl says have fun.
10' axial on 50' tilt-up.  3.4k solar grid tied. Upstate NY

SparWeb

• Global Moderator
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Wind Turbine Project Field Notes
Re: 10' has a 11 year anniversary and update
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »
Thanks for the update Waterman!

11 years on a 10' turbine, must be about 50,000 hours on that bearing or maybe 400 million revolutions.

No one believes the theory except the one who developed it. Everyone believes the experiment except the one who ran it.
System spec: 135w BP multicrystalline panels, Xantrex C40, DIY 10ft (3m) diameter wind turbine, Tri-Star TS60, 800AH x 24V AGM Battery, Xantrex SW4024
www.sparweb.ca