Logged in users > User Diaries

Matching the load

<< < (13/13)

DanB:
if its an axial flux airgap machine then the ribbon wire is probably not a good idea based upon our experiences building scotties little diesel last year.  Not all flux is in a perfectly straight line from magnet to magnet and in my experience, using fairly thin ribbon wire (But 1/2" thick) - eddy currents are a killer.  Our rpm were high - but the destruction from eddy currents was amazing and it happened quickly.  I think that leaves us with our best bet being round wire in the axial flux machines with big airgaps.  I could be misunderstanding what your all talking about though...

oztules:
No Danb,
I'm thinking you are understanding well enough to keep us out of trouble, and since I have availed myself of your story regarding the unhappy demise of Scotties gennie, I I'm understanding that  my suggestion should have been /has been relegated to the dustbin.
Samoapower was on it straight away fortunately, as I was going to pillage some starter motors and do some testing myself until I read your tale of woe....no more dreaming of thickwire here.... (lets see a hundred in hand of spiderweb should do it.)
I was very surprised with the results, and they were contrary to what I would have expected at these frequencies.
But nothing proves/disproves theory like real world experiment, and luckily for the rest of us, you have done this.
Thanks for your experimentation, you have my and others gratitude for this (this includes a dozen startermotors I had recovered from the tip for this purpose, they can live on in one peace now)
Well done as usual................oztules

seanchan00:
Hi Flux,
Due to poor wind, my windmill is currently generating less than 11V worth of power 70% of the time, and i can't use this to charge my 12V batteries. I'm considering using your Boost circuit above to boost my output voltage to above 13V. However, i do not know what Capacitor and Inductor values to use, or what type of Mosfet to use. Can you please advise?
also, would it be necessary to put in a cut-off feature in my boost circuit when the wind picks up?
Regards,

SeanChan

Boondocker:
Thanks for this post.
You explain "increase line resistance to lower the slope".   How is line reistance increased?  Coil design?
Thanks
Duane

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version