Author Topic: How many wires can you fit in a hole...  (Read 1063 times)

windstuffnow

How many wires can you fit in a hole...
« on: September 20, 2003, 12:00:05 PM »
  Here is a formula to find how many wires you can fit in a certain size hole:

( hole dia / ( 1.14 x wire diameter))^2 = total wires ( turns)

If you know how many turns you want to use but need to find out what size hole you'd need to fit them in:

1.14 x diameter of wire x sqrt(Number of turns) = Hole size

Its better ( more efficient use of space) to use a square or rectangular hole or slot but its easier to drill a hole as opposed to cutting slots for the home builder.  I'm still looking for a square drill bit...

Back to playing in my toy box...

Have Fun

Ed

« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 12:00:05 PM by (unknown) »
Windstuff Ed

troy

Re: How many wires can you fit in a hole...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2003, 12:12:18 PM »
Hi Ed,

I have to tell you, you are a veritable cornucopia of intersting formulae.

Hey you still have your ultralight???

Best regard,

troy

« Last Edit: September 20, 2003, 12:12:18 PM by troy »

mkseps

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2003, 05:50:12 PM »
Hi Ed:

They do make square drills.  They call them broaches and are available in many sizes.

Another approach is to have a machine shop equipped with a traveling wire machine cut the slots for the wire by EDM.  Might cost a bit but the results would be very professional.  EDM machines are programmed via CNC programing and can very accurately cut the whole stator slots and all.

Gene

« Last Edit: October 03, 2003, 05:50:12 PM by mkseps »

windstuffnow

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 09:40:14 PM »
   Hey, thanks for the tip!  I do use broaches for cutting key slots in my homemade hubs.  Not sure how I would use them in cutting slots in the stators.  I've machined them which works fairly well but its time consuming and it leaves the slots a bit wide at the surface.  I've been working on a punch machine with a gear driven indexer to punch the slots one at a time as the material is wound.  Still working out the gear change system to punch slots for just about any configuration.  The tooling is quite expensive.  Also trying to figure out a way of cutting different size slots with the least amount of tooling.  I purchased the gears and materials to make the gear box and finished machining a 4 point geneva drive for the stop/punch motion all I need now is a few 36 hour days to get caught up with everything...

Have Fun

Ed

« Last Edit: October 14, 2003, 09:40:14 PM by windstuffnow »
Windstuff Ed