Author Topic: To those who just don't get it  (Read 2924 times)

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
To those who just don't get it
« on: February 19, 2004, 05:17:18 AM »
( I'm also one) Not plugging Radio Shack ....but they do have the answers...

Now Wilber voiced his frustration

http://www.fieldlines.com/story/2004/2/17/192258/151

Here's how to do it....

Out of sheer desperation YOU can do it....

(1) Get 'Getting Started in Electronics'

(2) Get one of their 30 in 1 Electronic Projects Kityou could get a larger kit if you want to but the main thing even the cheapest one has is spring clips, various lengths of different colored wire, a power source (AA batteries in a holder to any dc volltage required) .

(3) Get the schematic of this project (that you are willing to pay big bucks for someone else to make for you) trace over each line with colored marking pencils representing the color coded wires that you will be using.

(4) Make the circut with the lab kit any parts that you don't have you can buy and hook into your kit.

Now I know some of you 'Newbies' in electronics might not know what a 'wire wrapping' tool is.....Go to page 97 in Getting Started in Electronics  What a neat tool!  (But I can't solder, now you don't have too??).....

Some 'perf board',, duplicate parts from your sucessful project that you completed in your lab kit  put it together and you're done

And you can pat yourself on the back and say to yourself ' I'm a D---b A-- Electronics Expert!

I haven't made this circut but I have the stuff I just described and a few circuts that I tried with the 200 in 1 projects were all sucessful so I know it can be done!

I might even try a project and put it on my web site in more detail.

Anyway have Fun!

( :>) Norm

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 05:17:18 AM by (unknown) »

linesrg

Re: To those who just don't get it
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 04:09:20 PM »
Norm,

Well said. There are also a number of sources of electronics basics on the web, some referred to elsewhere on this site.

It's my birthday come the end of March and I've suggested to my better half that I'd like such a kit, or at least a breadboard as I struggle to understand how a transistor works from simply reading about it.

You can't beat building a circuit like what they talk about in a basics tutorial and then actually seeing it happen in front of your eyes.

As an aside for those readers in Europe looking for cheap components as an alternative to DigiKey etc in the US is Reichelt in Germany (www.reichelt.de). OK the site is in German and I think they have a minimum export order size but they are selling such as a MJ15024 for $2.25 which certainly beats DigiKey and is shed loads cheaper then anything here in the UK where you'd pay $7.40.

Regards

RichardL

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 04:09:20 PM by linesrg »

JW

• Development Manager
  • Super Hero Member Plus
    • Flashsteam.com
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 04:18:38 PM »
Thank's for correcting that Norm;

-Getting started in electronics- By Forest m. Mimms 111- RS part# 62-5003 . Or- pn 28-280 "A Complete course in electronics" The latter has a bread board all necessary componets and power supply, with 2 manuals, batterys not included... I learn so much about electronic circuits with these type of kits. From what I understand RS is phasing this type of stuff out, time to follow Forest Mimms example and make more kits, I often wonder how guys can think of these circuit building block's in the first place,- No I dont, jk...

-JW

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 04:18:38 PM by JW »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 05:55:45 PM »
 Thank You for replying and taking this entry in the spirit it was given.

In case someone has got the wrong idea about what I have said here, I want to emhasize when it comes to electronics I'm as dumb as a box of rocks and I was trying to show others that feel the same way not putting them down as I might inadvertantly have implied.

As an example ....about 45 yrs. ago I built a two tube stereo amplifier using push-pull amplification it had a schematic and a pictorial diagram color coded wires ...I still don't know how they work but the red wire goes from here to there and then there.....etc.

I am going to attempt a pictorial of Jerry's schematic ....on my website

http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/titanic/664/id6.htm

Hopefully all the regulars on this board will see the merit of this endeavor and join in...it is my heartfelt wish to see everyone able to accomplish an electronic project such as this and look back afterwards and think....'Now what was so hard about that??

BTW  I'm curious about how many 'Newbies' to electronics have ever used a wire wrapping tool?

I think they are the neatest tool.

....Hmmm! Now where did I put it????

Have Fun!  ( :>) Norm.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 05:55:45 PM by Norm »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 06:28:17 PM »
   Thanks for the reply JW ....been over to your website....Mmmmm! I wish mine was as organized or accomplished...

I really think anyone can make something like a cap desulphator   ....

When you see on the 200 in 1 Electronic Projects box..... Recommended for children 10 yrs. of age or older.

I just have the feeling that someone on the board is thinking about making some simple kits right now....a small perf board a few wire-wrap sockets... a couple of caps ....(from Jerry??)Let's get the show on the road!...look at all those batteries out there that can be salvaged!    Norm.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 06:28:17 PM by Norm »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Caps???
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 06:33:35 PM »
  BTW do those old computer monitors have the caps we can use in this??
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 06:33:35 PM by Norm »

kww

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 07:56:40 PM »
I've been looking at basic info all over the net, but what I realize I need is that which comes from experience or some REALLY detailed info that doesn't seem to exist, such as: ways to make a triac turn off when pulsing caps, ways to make a transistor stay on longer when pulsing caps,...  Just where do you find such stuff, besides from messing around in it and picking the brains of those who've already messed around?  Anyway, I got tired of looking at basics and hunting better info, went to the scrap yard and bought $10 worth of circuit boards with many large caps :-), and started experimenting with making circuits.  I've burned up a few things, but I've learned so much I'm starting to make circuits in my head. LOL  Not to mention I'm really close to having the perfect(in my opinion :-) pulser gizmo.  The bottom line I think is that you just have to accumulate some play time with this stuff and like riding a bike it starts to come together eventually.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 07:56:40 PM by kww »

charged

Re: Caps???
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 07:22:34 AM »
Yep. They usually have something like a 250uf 400v electrolytic in the primary power supply.

But, if you're building a relatively low voltage system, you can probably use almost all the electrolytics in the monitor. Just make sure they're rated above whatever your peak power-supply voltage is going to be.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 07:22:34 AM by charged »

Old F

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 05:27:19 PM »
Norm

One of the best books to have is a copy of The ARRL HANDBOOK for radio Amateurs.

It is for old hands and new comers . Be warned it weighs in at about 5 pounds. And you mite end up with a new hobby : )

New they go for about $30 but you can find older copies at used book stores for a lot less.

It is one heck of a referents book .

Old F  

« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 05:27:19 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2004, 06:33:05 PM »
   Yes I think my Uncle Jim might have had it among many others too bad he passed away years ago. He was a Radioman in the Navy used to amaze me how he could pick out what someone was saying over a mixed garble of voices coming over or carry on a conversation with a 'key' just a stream of di di dah di dah......

Thanks for jogging pleasant memories.

( :>)   Norm.

Think he had a Halicrafters sure covered a wide range of frequencies....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 06:33:05 PM by Norm »

Jerry

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2004, 12:55:41 PM »
Hi Norm

I went to a Hamfest swap meet yesterday. I bought 2 $5 and two $20 osciloscopes and they work also got a big box of heat sinks for the pulsers for $5. Saw plenty off Hallicrafters there. Its hard to leave a swap like that without a pickup load.

Theres a guy there that always has a pile of free stuff to. I think heaven will be a big swap meet?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 12:55:41 PM by Jerry »

Old F

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2004, 04:46:00 PM »
Jerry

It is it an is called Dayton : )

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 04:46:00 PM by Old F »
Having so much fun it should be illegal

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2004, 07:31:01 PM »
   Jerry: been poring over your diagram and looked up one of the components the 555 can't quite figure out the letters in the other components is that MI or MJI ??? or what?? followed by 5024  electronics is kinda neat when you get into it ...gettin ready to tear an old spare television apart it's starting to get fuzzy....

(aw...what a shame!) Well I'm off to having some fun...I guess the basic idea of the cap charger is just alternating between charging a cap and discharging it to the battery right?

( :>) Norm.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 07:31:01 PM by Norm »

converseur

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2004, 08:30:08 PM »
Norm,

l fully understand you. l grew up  in a scrap yard and l understand how mecanic works. But when l have to deal with  electricity or electronics desaster arise. Listen to that one. 20 years ago omeone dented the front fender of my subberban. About a year and half later the horn of the subberban woke me off. Electrical wires seemed to have been rubbed and caught fire because of the dent. l tried to fix the wire. l got stop by the police for check up 500 feet down the street. And when lt came to check the emergency light, high beams started to flash.

Why is this l can rebuild the engine of my truck but not good at anything that has something to do with power. As a behavioral clinician l think l have the answer, ``l grew being told do not touch the wire ... but make sure to put every parts back in the right order``. These wires scared me to death. l'm now a poor man who can assemble a freestanding tower up to any height but unable to understand how a 12VAC motor works. This requires lot of technical skills, but l'm unable to download the pictures in my PC.

This board triggered my intetrest. l borrowed an introduction to electronics from the city library last week and l read that book over and over. l almost posted asking for help because the only thing l kit l found in town was at $100.00. Thanks Norm for breaking the silence that kept us captive. l looked for a laboratory kit last week. So l will go to get an electronics laborary.

Richard.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 08:30:08 PM by converseur »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2004, 07:50:58 AM »
  I can relate to everything you've said. When I was in high school doing a course in how to wire up light switches we each had seperate panels, when the instructor was satisfied that it was wired properly, we could plug it into a fused receptacle to see if it worked. I'd be working on my circuit and swear that I'd got a shock yet how could I when it wasn't even plugged in?

Another time I connected a 110v motor to one flashlight battery to see if it would turn at all, nothing, disconnected the battery and touched both prongs of the plug....WOW surprise! It was there that I learned that you can store a charge in other things besides capacitors.

Now for the lab kit...have you tried Goodwill, Salvation Army, swap shops for a used one? I remember that I saw one just like mine (201 projects) for $1.00....senior citizens day half-off...but I didn't buy it because I already had one. Next time I'll keep people like you in mind.

Right now you probably don't believe you could learn how to rewind a small electric motor either ...right?

I didn't either, but I do now. I took a mini-motor apart....2 magnets..3 windings..3 commutator bars...unwound it,counted the number of turns, got some slightly heavier wire, rewound it in the same pattern and sucess.

Lot of stuff for us to learn together!

Stop in at my website once in awhile (not too often...I move very very slow, 'Mule Train')

Don't hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks for your interesting reply!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 07:50:58 AM by Norm »

richard

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2004, 04:46:46 PM »
 richard & norm.  I kave 4 R S lab kits. 30 in one 28-161 , 160 in one  28-265, 200  in one 28-258,also Digtal logic lab 28-226....  Who wants then???  cost to ship is all I want.  richard
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 04:46:46 PM by richard »

wilber256

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2004, 06:02:41 PM »
Richard.. I would like to have them if not promised to someone else...

Willber256
« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 06:02:41 PM by wilber256 »

wilber256

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2004, 06:06:18 PM »
Norm ..I checked the RS site for the book, It no longer exist..

Willber256

« Last Edit: February 26, 2004, 06:06:18 PM by wilber256 »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
Richards offer...there you go wilber! Good luck!
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2004, 11:38:54 AM »
   You can get a lot of Basic Electronics right off the internet.

That's what those Electronic kits are all about...so find out how much shipping charges are for those kits(my 200 projects kit weighs about 3-4 lbs.)  are from Richard .....needless to say but that's a real generous offer...and get em!

My first project is taking apart a solar light and see how the electronics part works and I'll get it on my website.

Good Luck!

Have Fun! keep me posted and all that kinda stuff!

« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 11:38:54 AM by Norm »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2004, 12:05:38 PM »
Whoops got all confused there 2 Richards??

.....well anyway if anybody else can get in on this offer ...it's a good deal   and thanks for the offer to the others richard

« Last Edit: February 27, 2004, 12:05:38 PM by Norm »

wilber256

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2004, 04:12:09 PM »
Thanks to who has them?...Please email me. Willber256@yahoo.com
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 04:12:09 PM by wilber256 »

richard

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2004, 08:06:05 PM »
  willber I sent you two emails.  one last night  and one tonight. richa
« Last Edit: February 28, 2004, 08:06:05 PM by richard »

KHB1

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 05:31:04 AM »
Norm

It's good to see someone who a cycle means a cycle not a herz.

I still think of a herz as a company who rents cars.

KHB1
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 05:31:04 AM by KHB1 »

Norm

• Ohio's sharpest corner
KHB1
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2004, 09:50:06 PM »
   Just happened to check and see this I do everyonce in awhile...nice to have company along the way so much to do here there and everywhere.

( :>) Norm
« Last Edit: May 10, 2004, 09:50:06 PM by Norm »