Author Topic: non axial wind turbine  (Read 987 times)

mikef

non axial wind turbine
« on: March 22, 2004, 12:33:37 PM »
Horizontal axis wind turbines are today approaching 100 m diameter. They have become the largest aerodynamic devices ever built. At this size, they can put out a little over 2 MW - about the same as a medium helicopter or 100 times less than an airliner. They may reach 5 MW before they become uneconomic. Wind energy is about to hit the wall, the limits of scale.

The system we wish to study uses tensile structures similar to those of a kite and can be a much more fragile structure since they can be stored during bad weather. They can also be optimized for lower wind speeds. It may be that the most important thing is that they have different scale limits. This style of turbine may be able to produce power for less than 2 cents / KWh.

The cost of transmission is also a factor in the price of power. Today many power plants are located far from the cities they serve. Distributed wind energy systems at class 3 or 4 sites will often be much closer to population centers.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 12:33:37 PM by (unknown) »

DakotaSIG

Re: non axial wind turbine
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 08:57:21 PM »
Hi Mike!

Thanks for posting the info. I look forward to seeing this developed.

I live in a class 5 wind area (the whole state is at least class 3 or 4), so I'm interested in building one of these too. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Len

« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 08:57:21 PM by DakotaSIG »

DakotaSIG

Re: non axial wind turbine
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 11:25:57 PM »
I wonder if an old ski-resort chair-lift mechanism could be adapted for this? Your glider(s) would be tethered to the cable and would pull it around the circuit generating power in the motor.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 11:25:57 PM by DakotaSIG »