Author Topic: Second summer project, Fire protection  (Read 1292 times)

ToddH

Second summer project, Fire protection
« on: April 17, 2004, 06:09:47 PM »
I have been fretting every summer about having zero protection against wildfires. So I finally purchased a new 3" diesel water pump.

I still need to order hoses and misc. stuff to get it ready though.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 06:09:47 PM by (unknown) »

drdongle

Re: Second summer project, Fire protection
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2004, 06:57:57 AM »
Now you have to get hoses, nozzels, and a foot strainer.

Reminds me of when I got sent to P250 fire pump school in Norfolk Va. when I was in the Navy (1978).

Dr.D
« Last Edit: April 18, 2004, 06:57:57 AM by drdongle »

DakotaSIG

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 08:27:18 PM »
Howdy, Todd!

I don't know how much firefighting experience you have, so forgive me if you already know this.

Based on your other pictures here, you need to clear a lot more trees away from your cabin, especially on the downslope side. No fuel, no fire. Also, look into  installing a more fire-resistant roof.

That pump may be good for filling a cistern, but it likely won't put out enough pressure to give you a good fog pattern that can reach the fire. Also, how much water is available? How much during the dry season?

Do you have personal protective gear set aside just for firefighting? I've gotten burned more than once, even when wearing full gear.

Are you all set with fire extinguishers handy everywhere? They are much more likely to be needed than a pump.

Do you have more than one trail to use for escape?

My own plan would be to spray the cabin with some kind of foam like this:

http://www.barricadegel.com/

and then evacuate.

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant. :,)

« Last Edit: April 22, 2004, 08:27:18 PM by DakotaSIG »

devoncloud

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2004, 06:56:17 PM »
I am an ex-navy firefighter.  Simply using your pump with a hose will not do the trick if it is a full blown brush fire.  There are alot of firefighting techniques out there, but just about none of them would work in a brush-fire area such as yours.  There is a chemical refered to as AFFF (pronounced "A"-triple "F") that would work but would reak havek on plant life where it is sprayed.  Aquious-film-forming-foam is it's scientific name.  It works by smothering all "fuel" (anything that will burn)with a foam that sufficates all oxygen from the fire source thus removing one of the elements needed to burn (refered to as the "fire triangle", there are three things a fire needs to survive. These three things are heat, fuel, and oxygen.  Remove any one of these elements and you successfully put the fire out.  Since heat in brush fires is the hardest to reach and fuel is abundant, removing the oxygen is the element in the fire triangle that makes the most sense to remove). If you go this route, you need to make sure that you have enough to put the fire out or completely surround the area around your house twice (including every inch of your trees).  I say twice because if you run out, your only option is to then spray with plain water.  Doing so completely removes any good the A-FFF does.  A-fff is a government chemical for fighting fires, although I am sure that it is either available to the public or a similar product would be. There are all sorts of firefighting things out there, however the one I would put my money on is the one that our military sprays on their missiles and bombs when they are on fire to stop them from exploding... this is A-FFF.  You can also find some new things that have been created since the last rash of california fires, in fact one is suppose to be a spray coat that is good for a year and supposedly environmentally safe.  I do not know the name, but I am sure it would be easy to find on the internet.

There are a few precautions you should make in order to protect yourself regardless of what types of firefighting matterials you possess.  The first thing you need to do is get up all of your fallen brush, dead leaves, and anything of the sort.  You can put this matterial in VERY SMALL bundles and burn some of it, but the best idea would be to create a mulch pile for your garden (keeping the pile moist)or haul it off very far away from your structures (more than a footbal field away, cinders travel a very long way in wind).  You need to cut trees away from your house.  If you are not willing to do this, at least cut them back some.  Any branches that would fall on your house if they broke away from the tree espescially need to go.

Lastly, do not be a hero.  It sounds like you are in the same spot we were on the ship.  If a fire broke out, it is not like we could dial 911 and call the fire department out.  We had nowhere to go.  We had no choice but fight the fires and if I told you the number of us squids that died fighting fires you would be horrified.  You do have the option of running and rebuilding, so if you want some advice, don't have the mentality that you must "go down with the ship".  It's just a house, and they can be rebuilt.  You can't.

Devon

« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 06:56:17 PM by devoncloud »

ToddH

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2004, 11:59:57 PM »
DakotaSIG, thank you for your comment,

The pump is just the start of my fire protection "plan".

I'm actively looking for a 2 1/2 ton 6x6 to add a removable water tank, pump, hose reel, and water cannon or buy a used fire pumper.

The pump pictured, will be used to keep the tank filled.

My creek is year round so having a water supply is not a problem.

I also have 10 fire extinguishers placed around the house. Two Halon ones around the inverter area, a two gallon water one upstairs, a 3 gallon "piss pump" by the wood stove, and various powder ones placed all around.

Also, I have some fire gear (turnout coat & pants) but I still need to scrounge up some other nick nacks to complete that part.

Yup, next years projects includes a new steel roof and a "underground" storage area that I could retreat to if needed. The trees stay though, that's the main reason I live in the woods. I have cleared out the dead stuff on the ground around the house.

The link you left was very interesting, I never heard of that stuff before. I am considering buying a the home kit they sell, so, I have some line of defense until I get the rest of the equipment gathered/built.

Your link got me searching around and I found a couple of interesting sites that gave me some ideas.

http://www.portacafs.com/

http://www.thermogel.com/

http://www.wildfire-defense.com/products.html

Again, thanks for the reply.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2004, 11:59:57 PM by ToddH »

ToddH

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2004, 12:33:59 AM »
And, I thank you too devoncloud, for posting a reply.

I have a "must be pre paired for anything" mind set, and as silly as it might seem, I would have a hard time leaving the house to burn.

The local fire department will not come to our place, even though I get charged in my property taxes for it. So, I have to deal with a fire on my own.

I'm certainly no expert on fighting fires, but I have been through two brush fires when I lived in SoCal and learned alot from those experiences. So, I have some understanding on what to expect when a fire comes.

My last resort is leaving, but at least I can say to myself, I did my best to save my house vs. doing nothing and not having any chance.

Thanks again for the reply.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2004, 12:33:59 AM by ToddH »