Author Topic: Tower going up.  (Read 1754 times)

Jerry

Tower going up.
« on: August 21, 2004, 01:50:32 PM »
I purchased this tower from an old retiered radio amature. I've had it over a year now. It was still standing. Free standing at 40 feet it was originally 70 feet free standing.

This guy built this tower in the 70s. It was totally hot diped galvanized and to this day don't show even a pinch of rust anywhere.

It has 4 ten ft sections and a 36" diameter base made of 1/2" thick steel. I guse the hole thing to weigh over 1,000 lbs.

The original cement base was about 8 to 10 ft square and I don't know how deep.

I just know it stood for all those years whith a very large antenna aray through many storms with out a hint of stress.

My cement base is not as large. Its only 4 ft square and 28" deep. Its right next to my 30 X 60 ft shop and the first 10 ft section will be achored at 10 ft off the ground to this shop. The shop is a pole building with anchoring post 3 ft into the ground. The shop is built of ruff 6X6 presure treated beams.

The tower has an elivator system. That is it has a 12" square mounting platform that is raised or lowered by a hand crank wench at the ground and a locking plus  release mechanizim at the top.

I'll be able to raise and lower gennies with the crank. There will be another 7 ft of schedual 80 pipe above the tower top.

I'm also going to install guy wires near the top. These will be conected to 2 poles and another shop near by. These guy wires will also have the cheap little hand crank  wench that DanB used on the 48 volt genny. This will alow the elivator to be used during service or genny change. Then the guy wires can be snuged up again after service. Hope these pictures work?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 01:50:32 PM by (unknown) »

zubbly

Re: Tower going up.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 08:45:30 PM »
hi Jerry.

looks great!

what size genny goin up?

zubbly

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 08:45:30 PM by zubbly »

Jerry

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 09:27:08 PM »
Hi Zub.

Thats the buity of this  tower. I'll be changing gennies frequently cause its so easy to run them up and down.

I've got a 1.5 hp conversion, 3 hp conversion and some new disc alts yet to be built and tested.

This tower and my wind tunnel are my efferts to retier the S-10 wind test truck.

First gennies will be testing my 7 ft Lakota blades. Pictures and satories will follow.

I have a 48 volt system so the motors will retain stock wiring and I may copy the 48v disc alt Dan B just put up?

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 09:27:08 PM by Jerry »

LEXX

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 03:18:01 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something but what are the PVC pipes for?

LEXX

« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 03:18:01 PM by LEXX »

Jerry

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 10:03:16 PM »
Hi Lexx

2 things. One the watter fawcet pictured and a sprinkler system in the feld about 40 ft. to the left of the hole.

Turns out the best location for the tower was right on top the water pipe.

The water pipe has peen there 30 years and the tower will soon be there also.

I taped into the metal pipe that goes to the feid with some 4 ga. wire for the tower lightning ground conection.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: August 22, 2004, 10:03:16 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 09:30:25 PM »
Update 9-12-04.

The concreat is done 2 weeks back. The base and 2 sections are standing. Spent half day on the second section.

Its tuff when your 20ft in the air and need to go up and down a zilion times.

It was kinda scarry but I used the elivator thingy on the tower to take the #2 section up.

The next 2 will be with the boom truck. Should be about 46 ft to the genny when done.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: September 12, 2004, 09:30:25 PM by Jerry »

Jerry

Re: Tower going up. Gounding, lightning.
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2004, 11:17:27 PM »
Grounding ? Is 4 ga. welding cabel large enough. Its only 18" long from the lower to the grounding rod. This is for lightning.

JK TAS Jerry

« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 11:17:27 PM by Jerry »