Author Topic: A galaxy far far away  (Read 1656 times)

Muffloj

A galaxy far far away
« on: September 13, 2004, 10:07:14 AM »
   I am somewhat of an outdoorsman. I love camping, and hiking, fishing and just about everything else having to do with outdoor fun.  I am also a fan of comfort and technology I love my laptop, cell phones, and all the convience provided by electricity . That brings me to where i am now. I have been working  recently to build a platform in which to provide access to the best of both worlds, outdoor living, and technology.

This platform had to meet several requirements. I must be lightweight and portable. I have chosen a 1" aluminum tube frame carried by two 20" bicycle style wheels keeping the weight of the frame down to about 14lbs with the wheels.

Next it needed to be able to carry a medium size cooler for cold drinks and real food (not that dehydrated stuff) about 24 can capacity.  This cooler had to be mounted in such a way that it would not spill its contents durring transport. This was accoplished by using a oversized dolly style frame with fenders to support the wheels and suspending the cooler behind the axle to provide mechanical advantage when lifting the load from the front handle.

Now here is the part that landed me in this forum.  It also need be able to provide enough power to  run several on board functions such as lights, maby a thermo cooling unit for the ice chest, and charge batteries for other applications such as a sleeping fan, radio, cell phone, laptop etc... I am hoping to be able to provide this energy using the spinning of the wheels turing the hiking time to turn a generator. I also would like to be able to add an attachment to the wheel to provide access to hydro power.  Small solar panels will also yeild a bit of power

Also a must was to have the capacity to carry all of my camping gear comfortably, keeping most of it off of my back.

I have constructed a rough prototype to test the principals of the design and the results where great.  It provided me with a way to transport a full campsite through the rough terrain of Arkansas Ouchita mountains. I carried a full cooler about  20lbs along with all of my other gear about 45lbs enough for my girlfriend and I. Fully loaded at about 80lbs it was a pleasure to maneuver up and down the trails. Keep in mind usualy i am carrying that 45+lbs on my back.  I also do not have a generator yet installed on the frame.  This prototype is poorly crafted as i lack the tools and skills needed to comlete this project and i am working to find someone skilled with aluminum tubing fabrication to create a finished product.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 10:07:14 AM by (unknown) »

DanB

• Global Moderator
  • SuperHero Member
    • otherpower.com
Re: A galaxy far far away
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 10:20:52 AM »
I think you'll find, that to get enough power for refrigeration from turning these wheels... it will take a heck of a lot more work to push it!  For a human, to generate even 100 watts, is a lot of work...
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 10:20:52 AM by DanB »
If I ever figure out what's in the box then maybe I can think outside of it.

Electric Ed

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 10:45:43 AM »
About 25 years ago, as part of an "open house" display project at the trade school where I was an instructor, our students built a bicycle powered alternator. The bicycle was mounted on a stand, the rear tire removed, and an auto alternator driven from the rear wheel by a V-belt.

An array of various wattages of 12 volt lamps, with switches, was mounted within reach of the rider.

The public was invited to see how much "power" they could generate.

What an eye-opener! Even the most able-bodied athletic types had difficulty maintaining a 100 watt output for any length of time.

Electric Ed

« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 10:45:43 AM by Electric Ed »

Muffloj

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 10:48:28 AM »
    I agree the thermo cooler may be too big of a load, but i am hoping to be able to engage the gen durring prime charging times. I can easily pull the cart up a hill or mountain side trail and let the weight of the cart and gear  provide force needed turn the gen. on  the downhill. I still have much to learn about this matter so i do appreciate any input.

Soon i hope to complete a revised version of the frame able to support some of the ideas i have developed and hope to develope further with the insite  gained from all who have cares to give it
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 10:48:28 AM by Muffloj »

Muffloj

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 10:59:50 AM »
    I am sorry i know i was not very clear about my electrical expectations.  The thero cooling unit i have experimented with a little came out of a coleman cooler designed to run on a 12v system.  I have been able to run this cooler on a 9.6v NiCad battery for 30 min or so at a time still i agree not efficient enough for long term usage.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 10:59:50 AM by Muffloj »